Powacycle Electric Bikes

whisturx

I am thinking of buying a Powacycle Windsor and a Salibury electric bike with the new Lithium Polymer Batteries which weigh in at 22.5 kgs (including battery) I can just get away with the combined weight on my Thule towbar mounted rack. I wondered if anyone had any experience of Powa cycles ? At £1,123 for two, I want to be sure they are reliable. The only other make I have looked into are Urbanmover in the same weight range but they add another £450 to the cost. If I was commuting five days a week 15 miles to work it may be a justifiable extra,rather than riding up a hill from a campsite to buy the paper!!

Ian

My wife has been using an electric bike (Urban Mover) for 2 years in which time the battery has had to be replaced. This was due to relying on the charger to indicate when the charge was complete. This resulted in the battery overheating and susequent loss of capacity. Urban Mover gave me an improved charger but I had to buy the battery. I now use a timer to limit the charging time.

This bike has no gears. It travels faster than pedalling will help, but one still has to pedal although against no resistance.

Pointers that I suggest that you look for are, does the bike have gears and allow you to expend some effort and thereby extend range. This would be electrically assisted pedalling as against being merely an electric moped. Secondly find the cost of replacement batteries. They don't last forever.

Have a look at the Schwinn range. We have a couple of their Steamline bikes, seven gears, 20k with battery, true eighty mile range. Superb quality but you pay for it (www.schwinn.com). We bought ours from Hilderthorpe Cycles who advertise in the classified section of MMM

RonB - 2008-01-19 6:44 PM

Have a look at the Schwinn range. We have a couple of their Steamline bikes, seven gears, 20k with battery, true eighty mile range. Superb quality but you pay for it (www.schwinn.com). We bought ours from Hilderthorpe Cycles who advertise in the classified section of MMM

tried their website and email my ansum but no information forthcoming. the swinn website gave no uk suppliers, so us is going up to alfords next monday to see wot the sparc is like as advetised in MMM

f

Sorry Fred that should have read 'bicycles/products/2008 electric - view products/ 2007 continental'. This is the same as the Streamline. A bit of an awkward site this me ansum.

Hilderthorpe Cycles are on page 318 January MMM.

Have you thought through the drawbacks of electric power?

Limited range

Limited gradient ability

No ability to re-fuel during a ride.

Many times with bikes without gears we looked at downgrades and thought very carefully "If we went down would we be able to get back up again".

A modern scooter or even a monky bike overcome most if not all the above shortcommings.

But then again

Electric bikes have advantages to

No tax

Quiet

Light weight

Keep you fit (as you end up pedalling anyway)

We eventually opted for a Honda Monkey for my Mrs and a Honda Ape for me. Oh yes, and a home made aluminium trailer to carry them on.

Have fun

The powacycle has a Shimano 6 gear system and can be used as

Motor Power only

Assisted power /motor and pedals

Cycling only/ no power

Basically we enjoy cycling and use of cycle paths off the main roads but with the knees not performing as well as they used to it would be nice to get a bit of assistance especially up the hills !

Looked into a scooter but above 50cc it involves a driving test plus insurance, tax,fuel bills and helmets etc. and having to use the public roads which are fine in France but the volume of traffic in UK terrifies me !

Ian

I know Ron B has put posts on this thread and Clive, and I am reiterating what Ron has said to some extent but, like Ron we have the Shwinn Stream Line Bikes, we traded in our Giant La Free Bikes for them which had been excellent, but after quite a lot of research, we found the Shwinn to have a 50-60 Mile range, very quick and easy to charge up in the van, Solar Panel charges battery then invertor charges bikes no problem, the Shwinn is a power assist bike, which as you will know means that you do pedal it but with the power switched on it is very simple with full power on the bike just sails along, Ed says it like a turbo power and I say it like Mary Poppins you just fly along, not that we use the battery all the time, you don't need to as the bikes are so light, and the batteries very light as well. We have been on some very long rides on them and as of yet have only managed to use 2 of the 4 lights on the gauge. Paul at Hilderthorpe cycles is very helpful, and if you are at any of the shows or go to his shop which we have been twice and a very large and good cycle shop it is, he will service your cycle for free for you. a very good extra service. Carol.

Yes you are quite correct. I have a motorcycle license since I was a kid and the Mrs took hers in 2007.

Having spent the bulk of my working live building bettery powered vehicles I still prefer the much improved energy density of a petrol / diesel tank.

But each to their own.

Have fun.

Yes you are quite correct. I have a motorcycle license since I was a kid and the Mrs took hers in 2007.

Having spent the bulk of my working live building bettery powered vehicles I still prefer the much improved energy density of a petrol / diesel tank.

But each to their own.

Have fun.

But each to their own.

Have fun.

But each to their own.

Have fun.

Yes you are quite correct. I have had a motorcycle license since I was a kid and the Mrs took hers in 2007.

Having spent the bulk of my working live building battery powered vehicles I still prefer the much improved energy density of a petrol / diesel tank.

But each to their own.

Have fun.

Hymer C9

I'm suprised that you are only getting 50/60 miles out of your batteries as we definitely get 80+ and have only seen your figure in very hilly conditions. We do however turn off the power on long flat stages as, as you say, the bikes are so light that there seems little point in using the power. I have to agree that Paul is a great person to deal with.

Incidentally, we had a Honda SH125 scooter previously but can honestly say that we much prefer the cycles for all round convenience. No tax, insurance, bulky clothing and crash hats, etc, to worry obout. Also we rarely did anything approaching 80 miles on the scooter so mileages are not an issue. All this is of personal preference obviously.

Hi Ron, yes I agree with you but as we usually top the bikes up when we have done about 40 miles never actually got around to doing 80 miles so just did not want to put a figure that I had not tried out myself, but don't doubt that they will do it, as you say they are so light you don't need the battery that often, but what a luxury when you want it. One of the great things with them is on a cycle way you can hardly tell they are electric bikes, where I think the normal electric bike may be frowned up on. Carol.

We have recently bought a Powacycle Lynx which we collected from the distributor - easy as we pass on the M11 fairly frequently. They were good to deal with.

I chose this model as it is relatively light and can fold which is occasionally useful. Also electric bikes tend to be very long and having 20" wheels means it doesn't stick out on the rack of our relatively narrow VW T5

Essentially it is for use by my wife - a 'casual' cyclist and it was only after some persuasion from me - an 'everyday' cyclist - that she agreed to try this instead of her Dawes ladies pedal cycle.

It is early days, but she is highly impressed (particularly when overtaking me uphill!). I think it will be a great success.

It is heavy - the actual (measured) weight is 21.8Kg with the battery (quoted at 20Kg in the brochure) - the battery is a very light at 2.1Kg. I can just lift it onto the (high) Fiamma rack on the back of our Bilbo Celex VW T5 but like to have her around while I do it - just in case.

From my perspective as a frequent cyclist - I have a Kona Dr Dew which is a seriously nice bit of kit - I am impressed with the construction of the Powacycle. The only thing that I personally don't like is the gearing - it is very low and this makes the realistic maximum speed about 16mph. I am otherwise thoroughly impressed particularly with its 3 modes - no power assistance (obviously, being heavy compared with an ordinary bike, this takes a bit more effort and is not much fun up hill) - some power assistance according to how much you pedal - full power assistance (with or without pedalling) by using the twist-grip throttle. I enjoy riding it far more than I would have expected.

Hymer C9

For my sins I have several bikes and can't say that I have experienced electric bikes being frowned upon. However, I would imagine that the feeling soon turns to envy as you glide by the sceptics walking uphill!

It does bring up the subject of cycle choice however which is mainly dictated by fashion I'm afraid. Most people nowdays are sucked into buying off-road bikes which are hardly ever used for what they were designed for. Their tight and frisky frame angles and OTT tyres make them hard going and is the reason why people are knackered after only a few miles and turned off the hobby. A lightweight and relaxed tourer would suit all but the most dedicated off roader far better - but it's not fashionable is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the advice on Electric Bikes. We stayed at the Baltic Wharf CC site in Bristol and walked round the docks to a cycle shop on Hotwells Road and seeing the Urbanmover bike next to the Powacycle convinced us to pay a bit more . The build quality and easier controls is very noticeable. Could not quite afford the Lithium Ion batterys yet but the bikes are upgradeable later on (probably when we try the Tour de France !!)

Ian

Archived