A Frame

RocknRoll

I know this topic has been covered before and I certainly don't want a discussion on the legalities or not of A Frames, my question is aimed at anyone who has used an A frame with the chains and straps rather than the ones with a dedicated metal frame fixed inside the frontage of the car.

I have seen a few in use, the chain around the wishbone type, but just wondered how you got on with it? I also intend to buy and use a Brake Buddy.

Used one years ago as a mechanic. It did it's job, recovered the car back to the garage. I would not want to tow anything any distance with it based on my experiences. We (the garage) then bought a towing dolly, where the front wheels are lifted off the ground. A whole lot better to tow with and safer.

IMO the ONLY way to go with an A Frame is a dedicated one from Chris Cox, Towtal etc. It's made for the job. A braked version is also a must.

Obviously the chain and dolly type are totally legal for the purpose they were designed. Vehicle RECOVERY.

Where as a dedicated A Frame may/may not be legal/illegal, depending which end of the A frame you sitting on :-D

Totally agree with Chief - the ONLY way to go is a proper fixed, braked A-Frame - unless you only want to RECOVER a broken down vehicle a few miles.

Besides the legal issue you will find the fixed A-frame much easier to put on/take off without having to grovel about under the car, your lights and brakes are connected and it is a much safer tow all round.

Sorry, but you cannot avoid the legalities here. The type you describe is specifically for vehicle recovery and there is no 'greyness' in the law. Such an A-Frame may ONLY be used to recover a broken down vehicle (not a 'well' one - the relevant law is quite explicit here). During recovery using such a device, you are limited to speeds of:

40mph on motorways

20mph on all other roads.

If you try using such a device in place of a fixed A-Frame, you are liable to be stopped and charged. And there is no 'grey area' get-out.

Mel E

====

Archived