English speaking radio stns abroad without sat dish.

David B

"Don Madge" kindly sent me details of KISS FM 101.2FM, an English speaking news, sport and weather radio station in the Algarve, Portugal.

Apart from the BBC World Service on shortwave, BBC Radio 2 on long wave which reaches parts of France, and radio on satellite dishes, does anyone know of any other local english speaking radio stations on the continent, especially Spain? I am particularly interested in weather forecasts when I can't get online with WiFi etc.

Ther are quite a few along the Spanish Costas, on FM of course so you just have to scan to find them.

The BBC World Service is good all over Europe, on short Wave so you need a SW receiver. have a look at the BBC website for programming and frequencies.

Hallii

There are oooodles of english speaking stations all over the world if your radio worls on the lower frequency bands and AM. Thats Medium wave and Long wave in old money. The loudest is probably VOICE OF AMERICA from Big Jim Creek. But they are not all american the BBC have a good world service as well.

A great one on the Costa Blanca in Spain, which can be picked up along the coast from around Calpe in the North, to just above Alicante in the South, is "Ondacero International", better known as "OCI".

It's on 94.6FM

(And it's even better 'cos I'm normally on it every other Friday from 11am till noon, doing the weekly "News Review")

:D

Whilst on the med (aires at Ramatuelle, nr. st tropez) we listened to riviera radio 106.5 fm which is broadcast in English all day. After approx 7 or 8 pm hardly any dj chatter or ads, just easy listening records.

regards

Allen

ps just received my CC 25 yrs today. Hardly use the CC these days but live in hope that it may be sold off and I'll cop for a load of dosh ! But I'm not holding my breath.

i know this might sound stupid, but what is the frequency etc for the bbc world service?? i was under the impression that you could pick this up vertually anywhere, hence the name, but everytime i have travelled, i have never found it by scanning, ......

puerto - 2008-01-24 8:38 PM

i know this might sound stupid, but what is the frequency etc for the bbc world service?? i was under the impression that you could pick this up vertually anywhere, hence the name, but everytime i have travelled, i have never found it by scanning, ......

Follow the link that I posted earlier in the thread. It seems that the frequencies vary by location and time of day.

Hi Cronkle

Thanks for your help. I have printed off the contents of the website mentioned and included it in my European Travel file. I am rather fond of my little Porsche radio (purchased on eBay).

Forum members provide so much useful information for a magpie like me.

Thanks to all, especially those contributing to the aires lead.

Joyce

Archived