new to motor caravanning-Compass Calypso VW

Guest nick

hello everybody - having just bought our first motorhome - a 1997 Compass Calypso - I have a hundred questions but perhaps the most pressing is what precautions do I need take for the coming winter here in Southampton. Do I need to drain all the tanks ? Do I leave the hook up connected all winter? Do I have to start the engine during winter and take the vehicle out ? should I suspend the insurance ? Do I need to leave a vent open for air circulation ? Also if any of you have a Calypso I would be grateful for any particular tips relating to the vehicle. Thanks in anticpation for your help

Welcome to the Motorhome World of Wonder! My check list off the top of my head for the winter period is :- Drain down grey and fresh water tanks. Drain out and well clean the loo. With the van electrics turned OFF open all taps and open the drain point on the water heater. (very important as if the heater freezes it will wreck it if not drained down!) Turn ON the electrics for a few moments to blow any residual water out of the pump. Close the heater drain point after its fully empty. After this my Mrs puts some bleech into the plug holes of the sinks and flushes it into the tank with the kettle. If you do not have a decent solar panel and regulator fitted then connect the mains hookup for 24 hours once or twice a month. When the vehicle is laid up fit a bridging fuse to link the starter and leisure battery positives, this will ensure that when connected to the mains hookup (or solar panel) that the starter battery is also topped up. This is important as the alarm is running all the time from the starter battery. All motor homes do have mandatory fixed entrances and exits for fresh air so it should not be necessary to leave windows open. Do NOT suspend you insurance. What if it gets stolen for example? Or catches fire! I would not start the engine unless I was going to go for a drive for a real reason. Check tyre pressures and inflate to the maximum pressure specified to minimise side wall bulge. Fit covers over tyres if these are likely to get a lot of sun. Now is the time to go over the vehicle and touch up any stone chips, grease the mechanism of the stabilisers, check all the body and window joints for soundness. Check the condition of gas hoses etc. End of season is a good time to service the "motor" part of the Motorcaravan as well. Currently Halfords are selling full synthetic motor oil at half price £29.99 for 10 litres. I have just done ours (also 1997) But I could (and frequently do) waffle on all day. Good luck and enjoy

Guest Roy Hamilton
Hi Nick Welcome. I suggest you beg, borrow or even buy John Wickersham's "The Motor Caravan Manual". Make sure you get the 2004 second edition. Good luck.

Guest barrie wells
I echo pauls sentiment, why spend all that money on a van to have it shivering on the drive all winter, get in it and enjoy it,surely thats why you bought it in the first place. you live in a brilliant area to be able to go out and enjoy the winter,have a walk on a beach ,visit places you don't normally see devoid of the seasonal visitors of the summer.then return to the warmth of your van for a warming drink and watch the envious glances of cold people walking past you. go on,keep using your van, it will like you all the more for it.

Barrie and Paul are of course quite correct. But in the winter just one night with a heavy frost can write off the heater unit unit if its not drained down. So go forth and enjoy but take precautions as well. Good luck

Make sure you leave the toilet seal in the open position, if it sticks shut it'll be a bu**er to shift! Also, it's a good idea to take in for a little jaunt at least once a month so that the tyres are getting a good roll around to ensure you don't get flat patches.

Archived