1992 fiat 2.5 td hymer 654

eric 83

i am having a problem starting our mhome,i think the non return valve in the lifter pump(fuel pump)has failed,thing is i dont seem able to get one or a repair kit for it!! anyone any ideas. our local fiat dealers computer wont even recognize the chassis no. as it was brought in from germany

Eric

If the non return valve fails, your diesel will flow back to the tank when you turn off the engine, this means you need to either prime the pump manually before you try to start it or fit a remote valve in the fuel line. This is probably your cheapest option as fuel pumps don't come cheap.

Make sure you haven't got a loose pipe on the pump allowing air into the system, this will give you starting problems as well.

The Fiat dealer should, nevertheless, be able to raise the chassis number for your vehicle.  If he is a Fiat commercial repairer, he should be able to access Fiat's European database, and your van should then be identifiable as a "visitor".  However, it should by now be on Fiat's UK database as a result of being UK registered, so something seems to have gone wrong somewhere. 

It might be worth 'phoning Fiat UK, and asking them what record they have of your vehicle.  If it is only on the European database, they can transfer it to the UK records, and should also be able to tell you if there are any outstanding recalls that are swanning around Germany, looking for a non-existent van.

eric 83 - 2008-01-22 3:25 PM

i am having a problem starting our mhome,i think the non return valve in the lifter pump(fuel pump)has failed,thing is i dont seem able to get one or a repair kit for it!! anyone any ideas. our local fiat dealers computer wont even recognize the chassis no. as it was brought in from germany

Eric,

Try this Fiat site http://tinyurl.com/2zk632 for details it might help.

Don

If yours is the same as the peugeot j5 then the problem I had with my (ex m/h) 1993 Autoquest 320 may help. Symtoms just as yours, diificult and sometimes wouldn't start, then if it did would cut out rapidly. This started to occur and went worse in the space of a couple of days. Eventually traced it to a blocked vent pipe attached to the bottom / rear of the diesel fuel tank.

You can test for this by removing the fuel filler cap and seeing if the van will now start.

Hope yours is the same 'cause it cost nothing to repair.

regards

Allen

And if it does start and manages to run it could colapse the fuel tank.

Thanks for the link Don. Will be invaluable in the future and would be very handy for anyone buying secondhand. As you can enter the VIN and it gives you all the details.

thanks for the info. i am almost sure it is fuel drainback but after changing all pipes and washers i think it must be the return valve in the pump, i will try and get a repair kit for it . once started it runs great so it is not a serious prob. thanks

Archived