Brittany in March, April or early May

ALAN G

We have never been to Brittany before (many times all over the rest of France). We are thinking of a 3 week trip. We don't like sitting on beaches or even swimming but prefer walking.

Any advice on the time to go, or avoid, would be welcome.

We don't wildcamp so advice on the availability of campsites early in the season would be appreciated.

ALAN G:

As far as Brittany campsites are concerned, your best bet would be to obtain the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe 1" guidebook. This indicates that fewer than 20 sites are open all-year-round. Of the rest, many will remain closed until Easter, but you shouldn't have much difficulty finding open sites from April-onwards.

Outside the July/August tourist high season Brittany stays pretty quiet, so I don't think there's any particular period to avoid within your March-to-May window. Obviously the later in the year you leave it, the longer the days and the warmer (potentially!) the weather.

Obviously in early spring the weather can be a gamble but I can say that last spring was really warm-----until the wet summer arrived.

Such a shame you don't wildcamp or use aires as you are narrowing your options considerably.

There is an English run site in Chateaulin which is open all year.The name of it escapes me but is on the right bank of the river going upstream.Easy walk into town.

I'm not going to try to convince you to use aires but you would get a much broader experience in a very safe part of the world.

Good luck

Brittany is great. I would say just get the Caravan Club Sites book and go. Follow your instinct and inclination day by day. Lots of good walking including great coastal paths. We dont use aires either but there are plenty of good small (often municipal) sites. We are going back in September. Have a great trip.

A W - 2008-01-23 10:22 AM

Obviously in early spring the weather can be a gamble but I can say that last spring was really warm-----until the wet summer arrived.

Such a shame you don't wildcamp or use aires as you are narrowing your options considerably.

There is an English run site in Chateaulin which is open all year.The name of it escapes me but is on the right bank of the river going upstream.Easy walk into town.

I'm not going to try to convince you to use aires but you would get a much broader experience in a very safe part of the world.

Good luck

http://www.lapointesuperbecamping.com/

we usually go May / June - most sites are open although not all facilities

weather has generally been ok to good - nice time to go -

would suggest you keep an open mind on Aires - we don't use them very often - OH likes his comforts, this does not include emptying the loo, and includes long hot showers [the one at the site above is good] - but there are times when they are just what the doctor ordered

have fun

B-)

A W:

I expect twooks is correct about the Chateaulin campsite you mentioned being La Pointe Superbe Camping.

One small point...

I don't know if this campsite has ever been open all year, but the website gives the period of opening as 15 March to 31 October. The stated start-date was certainly correct in 2007 as we stayed there on March 15 last year and the owner confirmed the site had opened that day.

Archived