overnight near Calais

lincorker

We always head for Cap Griz Nez, the main car park now has a barrier but the front section holds about 8 vans and usually has 3 or 4 in there when we have been. Only about 15 minutes away from the tunnel on the coast if you are looking on the map.

Stands back off the road with some great views of the uk across the water and the ferries going too and fro. Also some very interesting WW2 relics around there.

Hope this helps, no doubt there will be many other ideas coming along soon.

Mandy

I reckon they should have provided more facilities for stopping over at Cap Griz Nez, Water, Emptying point, skip and the burger / frites van from down the road opposite to where the wetbacks marshalling point was could come up there to. I actually had a serious interchange with the president of the French version of the Caravan Club over this but it seemed that they were adamant they wanted campers away from there.

"Errosion" was said to be the reason.

Its sad because we had been using it for just one night a year since 1973. More frustrating is how little the barriered off area is now used.

We used to sit and watch the procession of ferries crossing the water like a stretched catapillar with the relaxed music of that P&O advert in the back of our minds.

you can park up in Ardres square or en route to Ardres there is a truck stop restaurant/cafe just past the Norbert Dentressangle premises. If you ever arrive in time for food they do a truckers menu 3 courses and a carafe of vino around 20 euros

cheers ike

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like a good nights sleep before you set off then I would suggest the Aire in Le Portel. It is situated a couple of miles south of Boulogne sur Mer and is in front of the football stadium. It is only a couple of miles from the motorway. There is also a good Boulangerie nearby.

Peter.

Archived