Beanie box and waxoil

Captain mikey

Waxoil is an anti-corrosion treatment which has gone somewhat out of fashion, mainly because today's cars and vans are much better corrosion proofed ex factory than was the case, say, 10 years ago.

If you have a coach-built conversion, most of the underside is actually timber, normally a grade of marine ply. I have never heard of the floor on such motorhomes rotting, but I bet Dave Newell has!

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2008-01-23 5:56 PM

Waxoil is an anti-corrosion treatment which has gone somewhat out of fashion, mainly because today's cars and vans are much better corrosion proofed ex factory than was the case, say, 10 years ago.

If you have a coach-built conversion, most of the underside is actually timber, normally a grade of marine ply. I have never heard of the floor on such motorhomes rotting, but I bet Dave Newell has!

Mel E

====

Actually Mel I haven't ever seen a motorhome with a rotted underfloor, I have seen the top skin of the floor looking worse for wear but that is usually because of water ingress through the walls or roof. Of course I have also seen delaminated floors but that's something quite different.

D.

When I looked into anti-corrosion treatment for vehicles I found several locally who could carry it out (one did it for the Morgan car company). The quoted cost wasn't huge, but the main stumbling-block would have been getting a high motorhome into their workshops. Eventually I did it myself (and didn't enjoy the experience!)

Two companies have advertised waxoyl-treatment services regularly in leisure-vehicle magazines. Their websites are:

http://www.rustbusters.co.uk/

http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/

There was another thread on here recently (about a month ago?) discussing Waxoil treatments which might be worth you reading through (I'm too lazy to plough back to find the link!)

For what it's worth, our 16 year old MH which we bought last June was obviously waxoiled when new/nearly new (chassis, sills, wings, engine bay), and even now there is not a single spot of rust on it anywhere.

I don't mean there are no rust holes, I mean there is NO rust, at all!!

Many thanks to whoever got it done/did it all those years ago.

:-D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived