Mercedes Engine

Maubern

Maureen,

Sorry there is no one answer. It depends on what it's pulling (A-class, van, low profile, etc.,) and how you drive it. Driving style alone can make a difference of up 6 or 8 mpg.

Fill in some details and you'll get more meaningful answers.

Mel E

====

hi, i own a mercedes based low profile motorhome, i get approx 25miles per gallon but to do this dont use a lead right foot. It might seem silly but i have a pair of "van shoes" very light trainers, when i wear these i can "FEEL" the throttle, it makes a hell of a difference. Im sure if i wore wooden clogs and floored it on every traffic light change i could get my mpg down to at least 14mpg. hope this helps.

Guest Tracker

Don't worry too much about fuel consumption as for the majority of users the mileage travelled per year is not high enough to make as much difference as getting the right van with the right layout at the right price.

On 5000 miles a year, which is more than many owners achieve, the difference between 20 mpg and 30 mpg is only about £400 a year in diesel costs - not a lot compared to depreciation and the astronomical cost of changing the van if you get it wrong.

Tracker - 2008-01-25 10:34 AM

Don't worry too much about fuel consumption as for the majority of users the mileage travelled per year is not high enough to make as much difference as getting the right van with the right layout at the right price.

On 5000 miles a year, which is more than many owners achieve, the difference between 20 mpg and 30 mpg is only about £400 a year in diesel costs - not a lot compared to depreciation and the astronomical cost of changing the van if you get it wrong.

Thats good advice for you Maureen.

Having read your last few posts about your woes of your last MH it looks like sound advice you ought to heed.

With MPG I have a saying. If you wanna go somewhere you need fuel, its not something you can worry about, you cant opt for a cheaper company so you might as well just get it. If you wanna save money, then drive slowly as it makes one hell of a difference. for me 20mpg at a steady 70-75 can be turned in to 26mpg at a nice steady 50-55 a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I have the Rapido 997M (garage model) carries 2 bikes, scooter, table chairs all the stuff you sometimes don't need, upgraded to 3800kgs and has awning, 2 solar panels, geni and over 20,000 miles I get 24.7mpg driving on the continent and doing a lot of wild camping so not always on regular routes etc. I am happy with the mpg oh and by the way it is full auto, not sprint shift with cruise which uses a little more juice.

But there again if it is the 'van you want just drive it and just keep an eye on the mpg for general interest.

Culry

OK here goes

We are both retired OAP and have been caravaners for 36 years and in Oct 07 decided to sell the caravan and buy a motor home we bought the new Fiat multijet 130 an Ace Firenze. Our outing to Paington  November 2nd to 10th was quite an eye opener we went to visit some friends who live on a hill we passed the space outside their house so tried to reverse back it just would'nt move it was being reved right up and foot off the clutch but no movement only the clutch burning we had to go around the one way system and drive into the space. This would be a problem to us as we live in the South Wales vallies on a hill.

We also had a heavy thud when we started it up so when we got back we complained to Discover they made arrangements for it to go to the Fiat garage in Chepstow they said the engine mounting was out of line  they ordered a new mounting and the Fiat had to go back in the following week to have this fitted and also the water ingress to be sorted and the steering to be greased.

When we went to pick it up we asked the mechanic to test it on a hill with us which he did it juddered and his words were "It's as good as your going t get"

We took it from the garage in Chepstow straight to Discover where the manager went out to test it and failed to reverse it he said leave it with me he got swift to test it and they also failed they agreed there was a fault on it and seemed to be on our side. In Jan 08 an engineer from Fiat tested it he failed twice and ther third time reved it 3500 revs and juddered back a few yards and said how far do you want to reverse so there was no case to answer.

In the mean time a second hand Auto Trail on a Mercedes chassis had come in it was a 2006 3100 miles on the clock and in excellent condition so we decided to change as due to my husbands ill health we could'nt take the stress of it all. Discover changed their attitude and we didn't get our money back  and had to pay £4750.00 to change.

It was with Discover longer than with us and Discover have left a nasty taste in out mouths

Archived