First time abroad

Little e

After 13 years of motorhoming we are going to take our first tentative trip to the continant. We are going to take a short trip, 7 nights, to Holland. Do I need to do anything to the van or carry any spares to be legal? What documents, if any, do I need to take with me? (?)

Hi and welcome.

You will need to ensure that you do the following. Headlamp converters, GB identification on the back of the van. Take with you your insurance documents and other driving stuff MOT license. Take photocopies of these and keep them seperate. There is also a form you should have in case of an accident that you fill out. You will also need to check that you have insurance cover for going abroad and of course break down cover is essential even if you are a great mechanic.

Spare bulbs and high visability vests are also required in many euro countries. I am sure others will be around with something I have missed.

Holland is a great country to visit, I especially like the smaller towns Zwollee is really nice, so all that remains is to say have fun whilst there

panagah

Hi

I found it handy to have addresses of shops, railway stations, even petrol stations or places of interest so that they were easier to find. Maps are good to have in hard copy from as well. If you have a Sat Nav make sure that were you are heading for is on it or if you are going on the old Atlas system pin point it.

Have a great time.

One thing to bear in mind about Holland though, is that you'll need to use campsites every night. Unlike France, where you can "park" your van overnight anywhere it's not expressly forbidden (and what you then do in it is your business), Dutch law takes a very dim view of "wild-camping." You can't even sleep in the ferryport before you come home.

But that said, it's a lovely country, with friendly and helpful people, many of whom speak English.

Enjoy yourselves!

Tony

Guest Tracker

Do internet searches regarding driving regulations, camping rules and sites information for all the countries you will visit or pass through and you will learn far more than by asking a general question on here.

Then if there is any specific that still worries you you will more than likely get an answer from the accumulated forumite's experience.

Would be a good idea to have an EHIC ( European Health Insurance Card ) with you for free health treatment.

( Used to be called the E111)

We got ours a few years back by using an application form supplied by Camping Club, but there is a 'helpline' number 0871-208-6000 to find out how to get one.

Try Googling 'EHIC'

Have a good trip - I'm sure you will have many more on the continent once you have taken the plunge.

also recommend a Camping Card International - available from the clubs and RAC http://preview.tinyurl.com/2664wy

and if you're out of high season look at ACSI discount card and Camping Cheques.

most of the sites have 3 pin electrics but you still need to check polarity [do a search on these forums for polarity - it goes on for pages- and pages]

watch out for bikes - should really be in capitals -

BIKES!!!!!

they have their own lanes - which in the country can look like ordinary lanes,

they invariably have / take right of way

and really watch out for the apple pie and poffertijes and indonesian rijstafel - all pretty evil :D :D

the people are great - the food is great - the country is great -

anything else??????????

oh yeah - have fun

B-)

You must also take your V5C (logbook) - the original, not a copy - so take a copy and keep it at home, just in case.

It would be wise to visit a camping/caravan accessories shop and get a CEE three pin, (the standard blue hook up plug) to European two pin, adaptor.  Usually a short length of cable with a European two pin plug one end, and a CEE blue socket the other.  You may find the odd site so equipped and although most will now supply an adaptor having your own is the most secure option.  Besides, once you've "done" Holland, you'll be off all over.  The incidence of two pin equipped sites varies greatly from country to country, so you'll almost certainly need one eventually.

You don't need GB stick on plates if you have a blue GB sign as part of your rear number plate. Just in case you want to keep your bobywork free of stickers!

A copy of the Caravan Europe 2 book might come in too.

And don't forget to bring us all back some diamonds, it's usual for European first timers to bring some back for their forum chums! ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
SID RAT - 2008-01-25 9:05 PM

Did anyone mention warning triangle(s)?

and hi-viability vests... one for each vehicle occupant :-D

I believe you need 2 triangles a thermal blanket (one of these foil ones) and reflective jacket for spain, you can get a kit in a plastic box with all these items in in French supermarkets they are around 18 euros .

A friend of mine was stopped by traffic police in Italy, he got an on the spot fine for not wearing a reflective jacket when getting out of the vehicle, they were stopping vehicles and checking documents etc.

I always carry a reflective jacket within easy reach in case of a breakdown and a pair of gardening gloves for handling spare wheels etc.

Clive - 2008-01-26 9:01 AM

Many Many Dutch motorhomers go to France where the attitude is far more laid back and relaxed, climate is warmer, has mountains and scantilly clad ladies at the seaside!!

Why start with Holland?

cos Netherlands country and people are great - and the apple pie mmm

and Belgium has the beer,

and France has the crepes - well Brittany has

why limit yourself to just one country

B-)

Archived