mercedes 208d

EVO

We have recently bought a 1990 merc 208d high top panel van, just under 5 mtrs long. However it came without any history. Is there any way of finding out who did the conversion? Although we have makers' booklets re the blown air heating and water heating etc. there are lots of things we have no idea about e g water tank capacities.

Are there any owners of elderly mercs vans like ours out there that we can talk to?

Despite its age our van is in good nick, both inside and out and has been well looked after by its 4 previous owners. It runs well too, though the long gearstick takes a lot of getting used to. We love it to bits, probably because it needs gentle handling due to its age as do its owners but we are looking for lots of fun and excitement in 2008 as well as the chance of meeting and chatting to lots of new friends

Can't help with the techie questions about your van - but wanted to say welcome to this 'ere madhouse anyway.

Ours is a 1992 vintage - great fun, and you can fettle with it without worrying too much, so get out and enjoy the thing!

Oh, and depreciation will be virtually buggerall too.

:-D

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Post a photo or give us some clues otherwise it could be anyone of a dozen converters or even a one off or a home made?

Any names, badges or stickers anywhere?

Drain the water tank and refill using a series of one or two litre milk containers, (full of water not milk!), remembering to count them as you pour them in, (you might need a funnel) until the tank is full!

many thanks for rapid response and welcome

our van does have some fading orange and brown graphics, one on the driver's door says 'commodore' and another at the rear of the van says'car cruiser'. dont know if that helps. Other than that it is beautifully fitted inside, the kitchen and toilet/washroom walls are lined with padded dark orange vinyl the floor has a similar colour vinyl finish and the upholstery in the sitting area and cab seats is in cream/brown/orange and a flowery pattern typical of the time. The kitchen has orange/brown enamel sink and a couple of cupboards with leaded glass doors.

Can you think of anything other detail which may help?

Dont fancy being thought of as wimps so we shall get out there and live it to the full

EVO:

Car Cruiser Conversions was a small, but very well-respected, UK motorhome manufacturer. I've got an April 1996 copy of Which Motorcaravan that indicates that the company was located at 5 Mansfield Road, Ravenshead, Nottingham NG15 9HA (Tel: 01623 793969). At that time they were listing 8 different models (all coachbuilt) based on either a Mercedes 308D/208D chassis or a VW T4. However, I believe they would also build 'bespoke' on other chassis if a customer so wished.

It was a family firm and I remember speaking on the phone to one of the owners (a lady) who told me that the motorhome-building side was an off-shoot of their furniture manufacturing business (which no doubt explains the high standard of finish of your Commodore's interior). I don't know when Car Cruiser ceased production, but it would have been some years back.

For more details I suggest that you contact Martin Watts who authors the Classic Motorcaravanning section in MMM magazine.

Hi Joan, and like the above wellcome to the forum, as you have already found out if you ask for information its amazing how quick you can get a reply and so freely given, from lists of things to take with you, routes any information its always worth a try, and any less serious motorhome matters and just a chat there is chatterbox, so again wellcome. Carol.

Many thanks Derek, we'll certainly follow up your leads. At last we have some informationon the possible history of our motorhome.

We will contact Martin Watts too, he is one of our favourites in the magazine.

Thank you to you too , Carol. It is lovely to be welcomed by everyone.

We are amazed at what we have learned in just a few hours.

Archived