Ducato/Boxer/Relay reversing problems.

Brian Kirby

Ducato/Boxer/Relay reversing problems.  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many will by now have noticed Andy Stothert's plea for assistance with the problem he is having with his new (2007 X250 multijet model) Fiat Ducato based motorhome.

This manifests with violent juddering from the transmission when attempting to reverse uphill.  He is attempting to gather information to present to Fiat, to compel them to recognise this as a problem, something they presently refuse to accept.

If you have a motorhome based on any of the above base vehicles - but please note 2007/8 models only - can you please register your experiences in the following poll.

If you have one of the above, and have not yet tried reversion uphill, it would be a good idea to try this as soon as possible.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Just to clarify.

This problem relates to the new shape 2007/8 model year vans ONLY and NOT to the old style pre 2006 model year vans that may have been registered in 2007/8.

There were still plenty of the older style previous model new vans about this time last year, and indeed still a few even now, and this may cause some confusion.

Good idea Brian

However I do not wish to respond to the poll as I have the 160 version and based on the info in Andy Stothert's thread, it appears that this version is not effected. My own test up hill reverse was OK.

As I have not yet set up a poll, is it posible to ammend the questions to add the engine type so that the version can be clearly identified.

At the moment it is likely that only owners with the problem will respond. If it can be shown that some version are 100% ok, whereas others are not, provides much stronger evidence of a problem.

It is possible, but likely to get confusing, since not all people refer to their engines in the same way, and some don't discriminate all that much.  There are three engine variants on each of the three branded Sevel vans, all offering 100, 120 or 160PS outputs.  However, so far as I could tell, whereas the 100 PS version is common to Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen, the 120PS and 160PS engines in the Fiat are by Sofim, the 120PS in Peugeot/Citroen versions is the joint PSA/Ford engine and their 160PS is their own development. 

To cover all variants and cater for those who still think the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen vans are different beasts, it would have needed 9 van types against which to enter a tick.  Then, there is the little matter of whether the judder is a problem, or not, requiring another 9 entry boxes to cover all bases. 

As it stands, the format is deliberately simple, and I don't think the engine size is so relevant to the problem as the badge on the front of the van.  If there are 40 vans recorded: 2 Citroen, 12 Peugeot and 26 Fiat, and 15 have the problem, Andy will know whether or not his van is typical. 

He has already posted his e-mail address, and he, or anyone else, can post additions to this string or can send PMs to each other.  If the responses eventually give an indication of the scale of the problem, we'll know better which make/s to target and then add the detail as to engines etc to narrow down where it arises. 

In the meantime, I'd say add your to the list as not having the problem.  That information is also relevant.

Will anyone who has responded to the above poll please contact Andy by e-mail or PM, as he would like to contact you to compare notes and experiences, and to log who is having problems so that a joint approach to Fiat (and possible others, who knows?).  Interesting that there are no Peugeot problems so far.  No-one dared reverse a Pug yet? 

The drawback with polls seems to be that they remain anonymous, so no respondents can be traced - not what was wanted on this occasion!

Ducato 130 I feel my Ducato is going to self destruct if I try to reverse up my drive which is a problem as driving up puts the habitation door against a bank.It went back to the dealer at WSM last thursday for water ingression mods , I asked for a Fiat rep to come to my house and show me how to reverse up my drive , the dealer said they are aware of the problems and advised me to write to Fiat direct at Slough.

Ray,

Fiat will probably advise you to move to a house with flat drive.(Sorry !)

I would do what Andy did, Find a nice steep hill where it is safe to keep reversing up and down. Then just keep doing it until it breaks.

If as Fiat says there isn't a problem,then you are doing nothing wrong.

When they have dealers all over the Country demanding new Gearboxes/Clutches/DMF Flywheels under warranty. Maybye someone at Fiat will take notice. It should have been 'Fit for Purpose' (a favourite government Phrase) BEFORE it was released for public use. Euro 4 or No.

Good Luck !! :D

Lafree - 2008-01-28 7:32 PM Ducato 130 I feel my Ducato is going to self destruct if I try to reverse up my drive which is a problem as driving up puts the habitation door against a bank.It went back to the dealer at WSM last thursday for water ingression mods , I asked for a Fiat rep to come to my house and show me how to reverse up my drive , the dealer said they are aware of the problems and advised me to write to Fiat direct at Slough.

But did you tick the relevant boxes at the top?  It's just that I thought the score was the same before your post as now.  Apologies if you have.

Guest Tracker

So, thanks to Brian's brilliant piece of research, it might be safer to buy a 120ps Peugeot or Citroen engined van, or either of the 160ps vans, rather than either 100ps or a Fiat engined 120ps van?

I wonder whether it is the clutch, the flywheel or the gear ratios that differ?

Isolating which of these possibles, or combination of, would possibly give Fiat a good clue as to finding a quick and proven cure?

Hello everybody.

Thought it might be of benefit to provide a definitive list of what engines are used and where as I am detecting some confusion.

Pre X250 chassis Sevel vehicles were 2.0HDi/JTD (Peugeot engine basically the same as used in the 306/307406/407 car ranges) Available with any of the three badges on the bonnet; 2.2HDi (Peugeot/Citroen only and based on the same car type engine) 2.3JTD (Sofim unit for Fiat only); 2.8HDi/JTD (Sofim unit used by Fiat since 1998 and available to the others from 2002 latterly was 127hp with a 'power' option producing 146hp via a variable rate turbo that effectively just uses more fuel)

X250 engines are 2.2HDi/M-Jet (Joint venture Ford/Peugeot engine 'Puma' used at 100hp for Fiat and 100hp or 120hp for the others); 2.3M-Jet (Sofim/FPT engine available only on the Fiat chassis at 120 or uniquely for motorhomes at 130hp); 3.0HDi/M-Jet (Sofim/FPT engine available for all three makers at 156hp although Peugeot and Citroen often call it 160hp it is exactly the same engine).

The 'Puma' 2.2 engine is almost exactly the same as the unit in 2006 Transit FWD.

The fact that the 2.3M-Jet is exclusively available to motorhome converters suggests to me that in addition to the slight gain in power the engine will have been 'mapped' for that market although probably with more successful results going forwards than backwards from what I have read.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Can the twelve people who have responded to this poll in the affirmative please contact me. I'm going to try and put some pressure on Fiat via VOSA and need as many fellow sufferers to name in an attempt to make this the subject of a safety recall. I may fail, but it will worry them.

Cheers

email : andystothert@blueyonder.co.uk

zulurita:

The power output of MultiJet motors fitted to the latest Fiat Ducatos is exactly as euroserv details, with the 2.3-litre powerplant producing 120bhp for Ducato light-commecial vehicles (LCVs) or 130bhp when installed in chassis intended for conversion into coachbuilt motorhomes. Panel-van conversions like Swift's new Mondial fall outside that category, so will have the 'normal' 120bhp 2.3-litre motor.

Re this: the 120 is the normal commercial van output as used by the van conversions whilst chassis cab versions supplied to motorhome manufacturers are the 130, which has a different 'chip' which produces another 10PS - whatever they are. The torque remains exactly the same, but kicks in at a slightly increased engine speed so, this has definitely not got anything to do with the juddering thing.

Re the mapping issue our van is the 120PS version as it is a panel van, as are all the panel van conversions with the 2.3 engine, so I don't think that is relevant.

What may be more relevant (but who knows) is that the 2.2 5 speed versions don't seem as bad, and they have a lower final drive ratio.

But in the end, the folk who know for sure what the problem is (Fiat) aren't telling.

I have a letter in my greasy mitts from Fiat UK dated November 06 which recognises this fault so they will certainly know by now what it is. However they refuse to share this knowledge.

ANYBODY WITH A JUDDER IN REVERSE WHILST REVERSING ON AN X250 FIAT (late 06 onwards) CAN YOU PLEASE CONTACT ME - andystothert@blueyonder.co.uk

I'll give up when they fix it, but not before.

Hi Andy, I've written a request into my PMH column asking for other owners to try their vans out and report to me. I'll forward any relevant responses to you as and when they come in but it will be a month or two before it hits the shelves. Without experiencing this problem for myself or having the opportunity to examine a van closely its difficult to say what might be causing it, this is where Euroserv has the advantage over me.

D.

I can't register this,( for a friend, who hasn't got internet access,) because I've registered for myself. His vehicle details are: Citroen Relay MWB van conversion. 100ps engine, 5 speed gearbox and YES it does judder in reverse.

Mike H.

Archived