Ducato/Boxer/Relay reversing problems.

Brian Kirby

Ducato/Boxer/Relay reversing problems.  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to be a nuisance to you all in the evnenings but can the two who stated that they didn't judder please find a good steep hill and try again.

Meanhwile can anyone from the other fifteen who have got the judders and hasn't supplied me with their details please do so. Or in fact anyone with a 2007/08 Fiat Ducato which judders going up steep hills backwards.

This is plainly an endemic problem and the more folk who let Fiat know they aren't happy with this fault the more chance there will be of sorting it out.

Fiat are now talking to me directly after I've made such a nuisance of myself for so long, but to get anyhwere with them the pressure from complaints will need to be kept up. Fiat say they will have some news shortly, but who knows what it will be.

IF YOU HAVE A JUDDERER email me - andystothert@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Andy

I am one of the two who stated no problem.

I have a 160 version and found no problem reversing up my very steep drive. This tends to agree with other responses I have seen.

I pointed out to Brian, when I first went to this thread that the poll did not identifying versions (see previous post) and I fully understand Brian's need to keep it simple.

I have noticed a number of comments on the forums about clutch judder when using reverse gear.

The answer is not to use the accelerator, just gently engage the clutch, and the engine management system will then take over in the normal way. Once the vehicle is actually moving and your foot is off the clutch pedal, you may add power should you so wish.

You don't actually need power to get the MH moving as its a diesel power unit and has more torgue than a petrol unit.

Try letting the clutch out gently without throttle and ONCE the clutch is fully engaged and vehicle is moving, THEN give it throttle to go up a slope.

Our bottom storage yard is actually on quite a slope.

White van man doesn't seem to have a problem or does he?

Glenn Harris

Service Manager

Re the 160 versions not suffering the same I had the MMM Long term test van for a month (Chausson 93 with 3 litre engine) and whilst it did judder a bit it wasn't anyhwere near as bad as all the 2.3 litre versions which have a passed through my trembling hands since.

The same can also be said for that awful Knaus S liner I tested too. It did judder, but not nearly as bad as the 2.3.

I didn' think the 100 models were as bad either, but owners of two of those (both Adria Twins) beg to differ.

Fiat just need to sort it out then we needn't worry which model we're getting, and the degree of defect present.

Its worth having a word with some of the major UK converters I guess.

Slowly they are switching to Renault, perhaps this may become a stampede for the FWD based motorhomes.

Were you aware of the special longer drive shafts for the Sevel Motorhome chassis?

Can everybody who has read of this ongoing epic (and the twenty odd unhappy owners who are determined to get their vans fixed despite Fiat's dishonest and evasive handling of customers concerns) whether they intend to buy a Fiat based motorhome or not, and are going to the NEC, please, please, let the various salesmen and manufacturers reps know that they have heard about these complaints.

And if you're really cheeky, or feel sorry for us mugs who have them, go a bit further and tell 'em you were thinking of buying one and have now decided to look at another chassis because of the transmission judder and vibrations.

My good lady thinks I am now becoming ever so slightly obsessive and bizarre, but am I alone in getting this way? Is it a male thing?

Will madness arrive before a fully functioning Fiat?

Nurse, more medicine........quickly

dss toi ory for us

alintsalinst Fiat is ctu plaem chri dtoi get twhori van fixeds ares on thsi

Due to my links with Warners (blood and financially) I have decided to forget my idea of targetting the Fiat Motorcaravan converters at the NEC show with a lealet campaign to point out to the public that buying a Fiat Ducato based motorcaravan might not be the smartest thing to until they have finished their still ongoing R & D programme. We, the present owners seem to be doing it.

But despite finding a couple of willing volunteers to take my place, there are still two vacancies for fleet of foot sensible individuals to assist in public protection duties.

Any takers?

If you fancy a challenge, and want to help the long term interests of of the motorcaravanning public email me - andystothert@blueyonder.co.uk

And checks will be made to ensure you are who you say you are.

I've just taken delivery of an Adria Twin which was registered in April 2007, which has 8,000 or so recorded miles. It is on the 2.3 Ducato. My drive is quite steep and recently I experienced clutch-burn on a hired Luton transit van, when I reversed up the drive, fully loaded. Today, I reversed my Adria Twin up the drive and, once again, there was the stench of clutch burn. However, despite there obviously being quite a strain on the van, there was no evidence of judder when reversing up the incline. From this experience, I would imagine that the clutch would be the most immediate problem were my drive any longer. With all the discussions about the judder, I'm surprised not to have read anything about clutch-burn. Does anyone else experience this when reversing uphill?

Shaun

Archived