Minimising hail/rain noise on van roof

WigBilly

I've just this week purchased a 2007 Burstner Delfin, and wondered if anyone could recommend any exterior roof treatment to minimise the noise effect from hail or heavy rain hitting the roof at night? Am quite intolerant to a noisy sleeping envoironment at present, as a result of suffering from M.E. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I don't think there is an answer. As ex-tuggers we used to have the same problem and still have it in our motorhome. If the noise is unbearable then I would resort to earplugs - the easiest option.

I would be interested to hear if there is a solution. (no pun intended)

Its all in the mind!

Try and condition yourself to laying inside in the dry warm van enjoying the fealing of being back in touch with nature. If it keeps you awake then put the kettle on and have a cuppa. Try a Soduku, its amazing how quick the eyes give this up at 0300 am and you nod off again.

Personally I enjoy the sound of the elements beating down from above. My daughter who moved from a park home to a propper house says that not hearing the weather is something she misses.

Good luck with the quest but I honestly believe that a change in viewpoint will be the most productive.

C.

Guest Tracker

For us there is something very comforting about hearing hail or torrential rain on the van roof - and thanking the same heavens that produced the precipitations that you ceased camping years ago!

It is a fact of motor caravanning life, and unless you park under a gazebo you will just have to learn to live with it!

Don't even consider parking under a tree because, quite apart from the wind and lightning risks, the random falling water noises caused by the branches deflecting the downpour WILL drive you insane - guaranteed!

That said rarely does it pelt down all night so you will probably get some sleep even on the worst of nights and then in the morning just smile and get on with the holiday!

There is a possible solution, but at a price!  See these links:  http://tinyurl.com/yoddjd http://tinyurl.com/yqpraq

The firm is called Nouvel Air, and is based at Martin-Eglise, just outside Dieppe, so handy for the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry.  The product is exclusively fitted by them, and claims additional thermal insulation, as well as sound deadening.  There is no English language version of the site.

Thanks for all your advice - that 'Isolation de Toit' sure looks interesting Brian, but at two-and-a-half grand to cover the roof of my camper, it's going to have to remain a last-resort option, especially with that unsightly grey finish. Suppose I was hoping someone might suggest a commercially available paint-on white rubber compound at less than £100 to solve the problem, surely there would be a ready market for such a product anyway...

As an asside I have seen on both UK and continental camp sites some caravans with a structure bolted on which supports another roof about six inches above the normal van roof. I believed these were to shield them from the heat but perhaps thay have another purpose.

The closest I have seen on a moving vehicle was on the roof of the Land Rover Safari which was double layer as a heat shield.

Brian Kirby - 2008-01-27 7:21 PM

There is a possible solution, but at a price!  See these links:  http://tinyurl.com/yoddjd http://tinyurl.com/yqpraq

The firm is called Nouvel Air, and is based at Martin-Eglise, just outside Dieppe, so handy for the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry.  The product is exclusively fitted by them, and claims additional thermal insulation, as well as sound deadening.  There is no English language version of the site.

Hope this helpsCopy the internet address Brian gave and then paste it into google search. the page that comes up will have "translate this page" on it, click on this and hey presto you have English.

We have a Mirage 5000 A-class van built 2004. The roof has an outer rubber skin which, according to the sales publicity, should deafen the sound of rain. Well, in our experience it does not do this completely and we still hear the rain - but like others on this site, enjoy the sound! So, I think that there is no clear solution at a cheap cost.

Syd - 2008-01-28 12:22 AM

Hope this helps

Copy the internet address Brian gave and then paste it into google search. the page that comes up will have "translate this page" on it, click on this and hey presto you have English.

Syd,

I find it's more like 'Frenglish'. But sometimes works as a last reort.

Mel E

====

One solution that should work is as follows:

Get a sufficiently long roll of 5mm thick, high density foam. You can get it in pale grey. Cut to size for the roof leaving holes for the skylights and lay out on the roof. Stick down with Sikaflex all round the edges - especially the front edge - and with a few large dots of glue elsewhere.

You can also make up temorary night covers for the skylights from the same stuff, fit them from inside, though they may need a fixing point for high winds (e.g., a string tie-on point).

If you want to look really professional, use aluminium right angle round the roof edges with a vertical profile close to the thickness of the foam - also stick down with dots of Sikaflex - and the foam will be invisible.

I've never tried this but I reckon it should deaden the sound, especially of hail and heavy rain. Note, however, that the foam will retain water after rain.

Mel E

====

Ear Plugs.

And no, I'm not being facetious. I am ‘cursed’ with accute hearing and use them in all sorts of circumstances – including the dreaded ‘dripping tree’.

Like many others though, I actually like the sound of (non-tree dripping) rain, wind and storms.

They work and are a ridiculously cheap and simple solution.

Hi Wiqbilly, you could paint the roof with a couple of coats of undereal followed by a coat of aluminium paint to reflect the sun, but you will still have the skylights. My 'van is of monocoque GRP consruction with a soft finnish on the roof. Fairly sound proof but the skylights still make a hell of a noise in the rain, not to mention hail stones. Perhaps ear muffs are the only answer..........

I hesitate to suggest - go somewhere where the weather is better?

This isn't as facetious as it sounds; when we're touring we keep an eye on the BBC's 7-day forecasts (via phone with web access), and change our plans mid-trip if we don't like the look of the weather. If it's summer you can usually find somewhere better.

I know it's not always possible, especially in other seasons, but don't be too wedded to a planned itnerary - you never know what surprises you'll find!

ME can be a bit of a s*d. Using the motorhome has been therapeutic to many people with many disorders and so it really is worth persevering.

My second thought, as it were, is to ask how often rain noise is a problem and can it be avoided by not using the van when the forecast suggests that you will have a problem. To my way of thinking you may well end up camping and sleeping acceptably more often than you might imagine.

My own personal solution is a small drop of the Scottish stuff but I don't suppose that would be ok for everyone. :-S

Archived