Ferry Prices

kelly58

To-day I went on Seafrance website to check prices for later in the year and was surprised to see that the crossing I booked last October for May this year to which I paid £64.80 is now only £58.50 for the same crossing days and times .

I was under the illusion that if you booked early you got a competative rate , but it appears not to be .

I have just e-mailed Seafrance with my findings ,so it will be interesting what their comments are thats if they bother to reply .  Watch this space..http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif

All the ferry companies have now adopted "airline" pricing, where what you pay is what they are charging on the day.  The more space they have on a particular crossing, the cheaper it is likely to be, especially as the sailing date nears and they are looking to fill it rather than lose trade to a competitor.  Once you have paid, like Lott's wife, you should never look back, that is where madness lies in wait!  Ferry tickets should carry a government warning, "remember your ticket can go down, as well as up".  Still, only six quid.

They call it "fluid pricing," I call it "let's see how much we can get away with."

It's very hard to second-guess, but as a general rule of thumb you're better off booking VERY early or VERY late, shopping round several companies and being flexible about exactly when you sail.

Trouble is, you can no longer view a whole timetable with prices online; you have to ask for what you want, then the website conjures up a price, which is only valid while you're there online. Sometimes it'll show prices for adjacent sailing,s but if you want to compare with (say) the next day you have to do a fresh enquiry. In practice, if you want to get back to (and book) your original choice you'll usually get the same price offered again, but there's no guarantee, especially if you leave it a day or so.

But you can get good deals - for several years running I got van+2 of us in high summer for £70 by booking just after Christmas, but this year everything seems dearer - best I could get even for Spring was £88.

But hey, it's worth it!!!!

Tony

Tony Jones

They call it "fluid pricing," I call it "let's see how much we can get away with."

Tony

That's pretty much our description of the pricing game Tony. In 2006 we paid £23, one way, to cross with Norfolk Line, our cheapest ever, they've never got near it since as far as I'm aware. Not one way anyway.

We have booked on the Tunnel for the 1st time this year, we couldn't book on the day we were checking prices (£60), due to dates still being confirmed, however the day after when we could book, the price was £70. Okay what's a tenner between friends but it sure rankles.

We have found, like you, that just after Christmas seems to be a fair time to get a half decent price.

Having said that, in Oct 2004 we were looking to book Portsmouth - Caen, for the time of year that crossing was nudging £400 return, Andrea is surfing the web one lunchtime and it pops up for £190!!! And she rings me to ask if she should book it...err yes please.

Martyn

I've given up trying to second-guess prices. I now book about one to two weeks befor I travel out and, since the ferry companies adopted 'dynamic pricing' I've found it's always possible to get a good price on one of the services.

But it's not a rip-off. They're simply trying to maximise the revenue for each sailing. So better a cople of last minute 'cheapies' at £30 yhan forego the income.

Almost everyone in the travel business now does the same - airlines, tour operators, hotels, and so on.

Mel E

====

I can't believe how cheap those prices are - what are the crossings exactly? England to France? Try pricing the crossings from Ireland to England or Scotland and be sitting down - usually £200+ return. Feel a little trapped here sometimes but thank God for Southern Ireland and the great scenery.

Phantom

When I checked with P and O about the Cherbourg crossing I asked when do the prices start going up?

The reply was they don't unless the ship fills up. It all depends how many seats are sold and they work different prices after that.

Chris

Guest JudgeMental

have just booked eurotunnel frequent travel fare 10 single trips for £390 + £9 for motorhome. this makes it £98 return.

restrictions are out after 4 pm (or before 6 in morning)

return before 2pm which is fine for us......

I have had areply from Seafrance regarding the diffent pricing and guess what they have credited my account with the £6.40 difference just shows it pays to complain.Its not so much the money as the principle still as the old lady said every little helps..http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

JudgeMental - 2008-01-30 9:20 PM

have just booked eurotunnel frequent travel fare 10 single trips for £390 + £9 for motorhome. this makes it £98 return.

How does this work out to £98 per return trip? Am I missing something here?

I have booked a return through CC for June/July at £105 and thought I was doing well-It was cheaper when I first looked before Christmas though

Guest JudgeMental
Mike B. - 2008-01-31 8:53 PM

How does this work out to £98 per return trip? Am I missing something here? I have booked a return through CC for June/July at £105 and thought I was doing well-It was cheaper when I first looked before Christmas though

OK call me a liar for £2! :-D

£96 return..... *-)

JudgeMental - 2008-01-31 9:49 PM

Mike B. - 2008-01-31 8:53 PM

How does this work out to £98 per return trip? Am I missing something here? I have booked a return through CC for June/July at £105 and thought I was doing well-It was cheaper when I first looked before Christmas though

OK call me a liar for £2! :-D

£96 return..... *-)

Aha-I can see it now. It's £390 plus £9 x10. I was dividing £399 by 5!

Well I am from Grange Moor and you know what they say about villages!! (^)

SeaFrance sell a Carnet for 3 or more returns at quite a reasonable price. I have bought the one for 3 returns for £192 for my motorhome. The more crossings you have on the Carnet the cheaper it becomes.

Only the first crossing needs to be specified, after that you can turn up any day, any time and will be guaranteed a place on 1 of the next 2 departures. You can of course book for a specific date and time in advance if you wish.

Phil.

Guest JudgeMental

for times I needed Sea France was more expensive then tunnel.

This is because their high season fares are on particular dates where as tunnel only at particular times......

Hello

We booked the Newhaven to Dieppe LD Lines ferry for 25 June returning July 21st, in October and it cost £220! We have a 5.9m 'van.

We live near Portsmouth and used LD Lines last year on their overnight crossing with cabin which cost £267.

We chose the Newhaven crossing this year because I didn't like the night crossing and got no sleep and wasn't very well (seasick) in the morning!!!

Archived