Setting Fiat 160 cruise control

Roamer

Is it just my Fiat(160) factory cruise control or does yours not function as stated in the handbook.

On handover I was told it comes on when it is switched on, tried this, nothing. I then read the fiat handbook – switch on, wait a few seconds then push the switch in the + direction for one second to set current speed, tried this on next trip, nothing. Informed dealer, had it checked, said it was ok and added that I needed to hold in the + position until I felt the vehicle accelerating. Tried this in fourth gear on leaving (on a suitably clear section of road) and after a few attempts it worked, but after switching cruise off/on, could not repeat it.

I then waited until reaching another section of suitable road and knowing the system does work once it can be initialised, I tried again. First few attempts, nothing, then I tried pushing the control switch to - position, nothing, but then pushed back to + and instant success. I then repeated the - then + action, switching the cruise control off/on in between each attempted, and I was able to set the current speed instantly.

So does yours work as stated in the handbook, or does this help.

Having used cruise control on other vehicles I find this Fiat system rather odd, not only in the way I have found to set it but also in the fact that switching on the system, turns on the warning lamp whether or not the system is maintaining the speed.

Hi Roamer,

I would agree with you that the operation of the cruise control on new fiat ducato's is not particularly intuitive! We had it fitted on all of our first 15 ducato's and we had a lot of queries from drivers unfamiliar with the system.

The method of switching it on first, with an indicator light on the dash is actually quite common. I think it was Honda who did it first and it has featured on all of their cars since about 1995 if my memory serves me right.

We have had one fault with the system which was caused by the brake light switch malfunctioning. The vehicle had its brake lights on all of the time which effectively cancelled the cruise control!

Enjoy your new van.

Nick

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Videomaster
I have an annoying fault on my Fiat 160 cruise control. If i don't use it for about 30 mins, it won't turn on. I have to stop the engine and go from there, annoying. Waiting to be fixed, the garage electician didn't come in!!

Guest Videomaster

Roamer,

when it does work i find it easy to set....at the speed you want to cruise at, make sure it is on with a turn of the stalk, and then to set just push the stalk up and let go straight away, don't hold it. this sets it to the current van speed. you feel it by of course taking your foot off. to then spped up, push the stalk up and hold it up. i found it was the quick push up on the stalk was the key (when i say up i mean up like as in an indicator stalk)...

good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived