HOLIDAYS!!!!!!

Poppy

We have a month mid june to mid july. Van is Hymer 522 low profile. Two of us plus one small dog (who says her needs are THE most important). She has a passport. Ideas

1 Belgium, alcasce (sp) Lorraine, black forest germany switzerland.

2 Atlantic coast of france, north west spain and if time some of northern portugal

3 2 weeks Ireland followed by 2 weeks scotland. We live in Liverpool.

We spent a couple of weeks last summer in Alsace/Lorraine. It was our first real visit to the area and we really enjoyed it. The mixture of "Frenchness" and "Germanness" was fascinating. Check out EGUISHEIM.

A few years ago we did a trip which included southern Germany - not exactly Black Forest, but Bavaria etc - en route to Italy. Again, some lovely places and very welcoming people.

We've also been to the Atlantic coast a few times - especially Vendee region. Plenty of good places to stop (whether you want sites or aires) and beautiful coastline - some of it not at all busy even in summer.

Never tried NW Spain, Portugal, or Ireland so cna't help there, but we can tell you more about specific places we stayed at/visited on any of the trips I've mentioned once you get into more detailed planning (that's if you DO detailed planning!)

Tony

Don't understand the question!  The three trips have nothing in common, though all three are likely to be equally interesting.

The main problem will be post 1 July, because you will then be in competition with the whole of Europe for every available space.  For that reason, if you want a bit more freedom from booking, I suppose I'd chose Scotland, because our school holidays start a bit later. 

Most crowded will probably be the Atlantic coasts, for obvious reasons, but I'd think Vosges, Black Forest, Bavarian and Swiss Alps wouldn't be far behind.  Question is, surely, what do you most enjoy doing, and what interests you?

If the answer is hill walking, I don't think the coasts would suit, and if the answer is sea swimming and sightseeing around ports, I doubt the mountains will suit.  Have you also considered ferry costs?  The Irish sea is very costly to cross.

The Camargue area in S. France is very nice. It is also easy to get to, 1 weeks leisurely plod will get you there. Staying on Aires and keeping off the toll roads will make it cheaper. Then spend 14 days exploring and another week getting home. You will then be leaving the main holiday areas just before the holiday season starts proper. There is coast and mountains as well as some terrific places to see. The aires, municipal and commercial sites are mostly all nicely laid out and won't be too crowded at that time.

I cannot reccomend the "Cathedral d Image" in Les Baux highly enough. There is a car park you can get your van on and some shade so you can leave the dog in the van, with a couple of vents open of course!

Narbonn and Narbonne Plage are also well worth a visit.

Archived