Fiat Reversing problem

AndyStothert

Could anyone who has a new model Fiat Ducato (X250, late 2006 onwards) based motorhome/campervan which is suffering from the juddering transmission problem when reversing up hills please contact me.

I'm attempting to get Fiat to take the issue seriously, as we've already suffered from one gearbox failure on a steep hill, and think something is badly amiss.

Email me at andystothert@blueyonder.co.uk

If you don't want to do that at least register your complaint officially with Fiat Customer Care

This is not intended as a topic open for discussion, just an appeal for other owners to contact me, so please leave it in unadorned by further comment. Thanks.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
If left 'unadorned' it will soon fall off the bottom of the home page and lose it's impact so you might like to either get it made 'sticky' or 'adorn' it from time to time?

ATTENTION MR & MRS MOD .

Please can you make this a sticky so that people whom wish to write to Mr Stothert can .

As Richard quite rightly states it will drop off the bottom and that will not do anyone any good please can you keep it at the top for all interested parties so if the wish they can contact Mr Stothert.

Kindest Regards.

Guest Tracker

You should be grateful that you have the base van of the year Andy!

Just think you might have had one of those awfully reliable VW T5's had you not been so fortunate!

Guest Tracker
I would have thought with your exalted position in the MMM hierarchy Andy that a nice Merc each for yourself and Rachel would be very appropriate?

I've been beavering about on the various forums and it appears that this problem isn't restricted to motorhomes. As expected the Ducato vans are juddering all over Europe.

And still Fiat tell us that our driving technique is the problem.

Thre is a good one on 'Motorhomefacts' where some so-called mechanic at one of the dealers (Johns Cross Campers) reckons the cure is to not use the throttle at all until the cluch is fully disengaged. Obviously he hasn't tried this on a steep hill, where no throttle equals instant stall.

If the mechanic in question would like to identify hmself on this forum I will invite him to test ours.

AndyStothert - 2008-02-09 3:29 PM

I've been beavering about on the various forums and it appears that this problem isn't restricted to motorhomes. As expected the Ducato vans are juddering all over Europe.

And still Fiat tell us that our driving technique is the problem.

Thre is a good one on 'Motorhomefacts' where some so-called mechanic at one of the dealers (Johns Cross Campers) reckons the cure is to not use the throttle at all until the cluch is fully disengaged. Obviously he hasn't tried this on a steep hill, where no throttle equals instant stall.

If the mechanic in question would like to identify hmself on this forum I will invite him to test ours.

I have noticed a number of comments on the forums about clutch judder when using reverse gear.

The answer is not to use the accelerator, just gently engage the clutch, and the engine management system will then take over in the normal way. Once the vehicle is actually moving and your foot is off the clutch pedal, you may add power should you so wish.

You don't actually need power to get the MH moving as its a diesel power unit and has more torgue than a petrol unit.

Try letting the clutch out gently without throttle and ONCE the clutch is fully engaged and vehicle is moving, THEN give it throttle to go up a slope.

Our bottom storage yard is actually on quite a slope.

White van man doesn't seem to have a problem or does he?

P.S. Come any time and we will test yours

Glenn Harris

Service Manager

Archived