A Frame towing - yet again

Guest jo

simple answers please! 1. where in europe is it illegal to tow a car(yaris) using an A frame behind a motorhome when fitted in specification as advised by a reputable company (eg pro-Tow)?. 2. if stopped by police (legality or non-legality notwithstanding ) with only one driver on board what does one do - un-hitch and leave car behind or are you allowed to proceed to a service area for example?.

Guest Tony Hunt
Its still all not cut and dried even though you see loads of people towing with A frames, mostly in the UK. I have nearly convinced myself to give it a go and have a Pro tow frame fitted. I have towed a vauxhall Agila around for a couple of years on a twin axle trailer with no problems other than having to find somewhere to put and lock up a trailer on sites. My Bessacar 745 tows so well I dont even know its on there. I did spend a little bit when I bought it and got Essenjay to chip it up to 150bhp which is a godsend on long hills. In situations like that I always drop down into fourth and power along being mindful of fifth gear problems with the Fiat at some later date by trying to save fuel by staying in top gear too long. Going back to the A frame I have heard third hand of people having problems in some of the scandinavian countries and also Portugal and Germany. It obviously could be a problem were you travelling alone and some overzealous traffic cop on a german autobahn suddenly insisted that you remove the vehicle immediatly. As I said Ive almost made my mind up to chance it but I always have another driver with me so wouldnt have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Tony,some more info on this "Chipping up" please.Where , how much and whats it cost.Mines a 2.8TD Ducatto, I think I could do with a bit more oomph when I get the car that I intend to tow on a trailer.Its a bit of a struggle pulling away on a hill even when Ive only got the Motorbike and trailer behind at the moment.Is the deisel version much more economical than the petrol? My motorhome is LHD anyway so it wouldnt be an issue for me as long as the insurance wasnt effected too much.

Guest Tony Hunt
Brian. Cant remember the cost now. Dont think it was too bad. Give Essenjay a ring. Think they advertise in the 3 ms. There are other companys that do it. Dont forget to tell your insurers about it if you go ahead. Mine are still dwelling on what to up it by if at all.

Archived