M62 Toll?

maggyd

Margaret,

As far as i am aware,the ONLY toll motorway in the UK is the M6 toll road which starts just south of Brum and finishes north of Brum (going north) i have never used it,and would not on principle. It has failed to live up to the promise of relieving the pressure on the ordinary M6 because the owners decided to discourage Truck use by making the Toll unreasonably high for them. (they didn't want Trucks 'wearing out' their nice new motorway !!!) they wanted all the Rich Mercedes/BMW/Lexus car owners to use it, and the trucks to use and wear out the 'Governments Road'. i don't like bridge tolls either ! we pay enough transport taxes already. :D

I'm afraid the M6 isn't the only toll road, not if you include roads that go over bridges, then they are toll roads too ... like the Humber Bridge - £2.70 for about 3 miles!!! Now, that's expensive!

You did have me worried though when you said M62! 8-)

The price for cars is much lower - but that £8 will certainly apply to any motorhome as they have a clever way of automatically measuring the height at the point of the front axle. All MH base vehicles are too high at that point ot count as cars. Very confusing, as they use exactly the same graphics on the approach signs as the Dartford Crossing, where MH's of any type count as cars!

When I go NW in the van, I use the A50 through Staffs. Excellent road, goes right UNDER Stoke-on-Trent, and no tolls.

Tony

Archived