Side repeater lamp for Chausson on a Transit

oldlowie

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help. I have a pair of orange side running lights/indicators that are on the end of 6" long stalks fitted to my Transit cab. I managed to break one while replacing the bulb.

Can anyone tell me whether the part is a Ford one, or a part of the Chausson Welcome 74 coachbuild, and where I might be able to find a replacement?

Any help will be much appreciated. I always thought I was going to smash one with over-enthusiastic use of the wash brush as they seem very fragile... :-(

Oldlowie:

A postscript on this...

All front-wheel drive Ford Transit-based coachbuilt motorhomes are constructed on a platform-cab chassis and I've got a vague feeling that these chassis are recorded on Ford's database as modified panel vans (which essentially they are).

A Transit Mk 6 panel van has indicator-repeaters mounted on the plastic mouldings carrying the exterior mirrors. However, all coachbuilt motorhomes using this chassis have separate running-light/indicators on (as you say) black plastic 'stalk' extensions. There are (at least) two different length of stalk on Ford's parts-list and I'm pretty sure the longest available stalk will have been fitted to your Chausson. I expect it's just the orange end that's become damaged in your case and I believe that part will be the same whatever the length of stalk. But, if you need to replace the stalk too, then you may need to ensure that the Ford dealer obtains the correct length.

If you are taking your motorhome to the Ford dealership, then you'll be able to show the guy on the parts-desk what you need. Otherwise you may have to explain your requirements in more detail.

OK Derek, thanks for that. I think I'm going to need the whole stalk, so I'll measure it and take a photo of it along for clarification.

Once I get the part identified I'll post the Part No.(s) for reference.

Many thanks for your interest and help - it's much appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

Update: there are two different sized stalks as Derek rightly says. My local Ford dealer ordered the short one first, as this comes up on the parts screen by default, but they got the long one eventually. The part number (to save several trips to the dealer) is YC15 13B377 BB.

Fitting the stalk is quite an involved procedure as the wing here is double-skinned. I was hoping for screws, but being a Transit and built like a tank, even an indicator lamp is bolted on! :-D .

I was replacing the nearside stalk, so the first thing to do is open the bonnet and remove the coolant header tank - only 2 bolts, then pull out the elongated grommet that houses the wire for the repeater lamp. You can then (just) access the 10mm nuts that hold the stalk's captive bolts. To make things easier you can remove the plastic spray guard under the wing (accessed from the wheel arch) to expose the gap where the bolts are, this makes it easier to tighten the nuts when refitting. If you jack the body up a couple of inches this makes access a lot easier, as the gap between the front tyre and the wing was a bit tight. It took me about 3 hours. The part was a reasonable £17, but I reckon at least 2 hours labour to fit, so try not to break one like I did! :$

Archived