Manufactures Numbers and Letters for there Vehicles

Hi All

Has anyone ever wondered how the manufactures of vehicles come up with the names and numbers of there vehicles.

For example the new Fiat Ducato is known as the X250 I wonder how they came up with this Number it does not seem to represent anything as far as what I can see any thing to do with engine size or size of vehicle.

My new motorhome is the old model Ducato and has always been known as the Ducato 2.8 jtd but looking through my paperwork it is named Fiat Ducato 15 2.8jtd LWB, Now I am assuming that 15 may be because it is a LWB ? I did see a builders van today with Ducato 14 on the rear and this looked like I would say a MWB.

Over the years I can remember lots of cars having other mysterious names or numbers GT you can understand but why XL or XXl, like some cars have.

I can remember a few years ago a Japenese car manufacturer was asked what the CL stood for on there new model car and he said it did not represent anything its just something they decided to call it ???

Any other thoughts on these funny titles?? ;-)

Terry

My favourite motoring nomenclature (good word that) is from a Maserati. You expect evocative and passionate names from italian makers. I don't mean 'Punto' or '500' I mean 'Testarossa' or even 'Mirafiori'.

Maserati make a magnificent saloon called 'quattroporte' which roughly translated means... Four doors.

So emotional!

By the way, on the Fiats the 10,14,15 etc refer to the weight that the vehicle carries or at least an approximation. The Ducato 18 does not carry anything like 1800kg so they realised what a load of crap that was and called it the Maxi as well. Most campers are built on the 14 or 15 3300kg GVW chassis instead of the 18 or Maxi 3500kg GVW chassis because the heavier chassis has harder suspension and bigger wheels that are not really suitable for motorhomes, many of which do not retain the original chassis behind the cab anyway.

Nick

Norma - 2008-01-31 9:11 PM

Talking of funny/odd names - tp002c784tp002c784tp!

Hi Norma

My funny or odd name as you put it is part of my email address and whilst filling in my details to join this forum this is what I was given as my user name. My ignorance of forums at that time I thought this is the" Handle " as we used to say in CB days I had been given and what I had to be known as. I had always intended to look into changing it, but as time went by I decided what difference does it make it's no more weird than some of the nonduplumes that some have , and I always sign myself TERRY or if some of the other well known Terry's are in the thread i would sign Terry P

Terry

Archived