Towing car on trailer

Guest Brian

I intend sometime in the near future to buy a small car to tow on a trailer behind my Laika ecovyp 1r 2.8TD.I'm not very keen to tow with an a-frame.The only cars I've seen on trailers are Smart cars but I would really prefer something just a little bigger and with 4 doors so as to be able to use it as a normal runabout when at home.Is there anyone out there that could recommend a suitable vehicle or has found the perfect little motor thats is light enough not to be too much of a drag behind my Laika.The GVW of my M/H is 3850Kg and with not too much water on board leaves me with about 60Kg to spare on the rear axle.

We spoke to a man at York who had a Vauxhall Agila on a two axle trailer behind his UK motorhome. I asked him why he prefered a trailer. His responce was that the trailer was on loan as the car was being fitted up for an A frame in November by Tow - a - car. We also have an Agila! The principal reason Smart cars are all on trailers are because the moving bits do not get properly lubricated unless the engine is running. Most cars do not have this problem! A frame towing should not put anything like 60kg on your rear axle providing the tow hitch bracketry is already included in your measurements Good luck

Guest Tony Hunt
We too have a vauxhall Agila. Had it two years now. The perfect small car and reasonably cheap to buy. We like it because of the extra headroom it has over most other small cars and with 4 people in still has plenty of room for shopping in the rear under the parcel shelf. We currently tow it on a 4 wheel trailer behind our Bessacar 745 and to be honest dont even know its on there. If I didnt have a rear view camera fitted I would forget sometimes. I have toyed with the idea of changing to an A frame just to relieve the trailer parking problem at some sites. On checking with my current insurers the National Farmers Union I have just discovered a problem if I go that route. They dont recognise A frame towing and werent prepared to cover me if I change. The problem as far as they are concerned is that you have to have the ignition key switched on while towing. This in their eyes means its not being used for the reason that A frames were first intended Ie recovering broken down vehicles which would be immobilised whilst towing. There are other very reputable firms such as Safeguard that do recognise A frame towing and if I change I would go with them. Its just a worry that if the car did somehow become detached whilst towing on an A frame and killed somebody would the insurers find a loophole and wriggle out. The car obviously has its own insurance cover, preferably fully comprehensive to avoid problems but the trailer if a trailer is used is only covered third party. Its all a bit confusing.

Thanks to both of you in replying so promptly and to anybody else in anticipation of more information on the subject.I gathered that a-frames can present problems sometimes when theres a need to reverse hence the reason for my preference for a trailer, as long as the whole thing doen't weigh too much.I will have a look at a Vauxhall Agila, I'm not sure what they look like.I tow my motorbike trailer at the moment and although I cant see it the rear view camera helps a lot when reversing.As apoint of interest, is the Agila diesel or petrol?Is there a 4 wheel trailer specific for this car, I would assume it's braked.

Guest Tony Hunt
Hello Brian. The Agila is Petrol. we find it very cheap to run. Go to your local vauxhall garage and take a look. Susuki also do a badged version which is identical. I bought the smallest 4 wheel trailer I could find for this car which I think had a gross weight allowance, car + trailer weight of 1500 kg. I think the Agila goes around 1050 Kg the trailer around 350KG leaving a bit spare. The trailer is fully braked that I have.

Thanks Tony for the trailer info.Who supplys them and how much?I did notice how tight the ramps were on the Smart trailer it seemed there was no side clearance at all or does that just act as a guide to keep you on them? I picked up a leaflet today from our local Vauxhall dealer it does look very similar to some other makes

Further to my last email tony , how much effect does a 4 wheel trailer have on the towbar weight wise if they are roughly the same height to start with?

Guest Tony Hunt
If you have the tow ball at the right height, very little if the four trailer wheels are flat on the ground. They take the weight of the car. Go for a two wheel trailer and its much more critical. My Bessacarr was a little high so I put a two inch height reducing plate on the tow bar bracket to lower the ball. That made quite a bit of difference to the way it towed.

Guest Tony Hunt
If you have the tow ball at the right height, very little if the four trailer wheels are flat on the ground. They take the weight of the car. Go for a two wheel trailer and its much more critical. My Bessacarr was a little high so I put a two inch height reducing plate on the tow bar bracket to lower the ball. That made quite a bit of difference to the way it towed.

• 2 weeks later...
One small correction on the Agila / Suzuki comparison as we have done a lot of research on this in the last 18 months before a recent purchase. Both Vauxhall and Suzuki are part of General Motors. The basic body pressings are of the same design. The two vehicles are manufactured in different countries, both in Europe. The Petrol engine in the Suzuki is 1300cc and has a belt driven camshaft. The larger Petrol engine in the Agila is 1200cc and has a chain driven camshaft. The Agila is also available with a 1300CC chain cam diesel engine in LEFT HAND DRIVE only. Same drive unit as promised for the Fiat Panda. (We have tried all countries and nowhere can we get a RHD diesel, they don,t build it for anyone!) BUT the 1200 cc Petrol is very economical, does a ton and has a high upright driving position not unlike most motorhomes! I am 6'2 and its OK for me. My Janet is chuffed to bits with hers. We shall be talking to the A frame supplier above probably next year as we can fit our two monkey bikes in the back of the Agila!

Archived