Pongo trials

Guest Stuart

Attn Clive How did the "Pongo" trial fare at York? If it was a succcess, I would be interested in discussing the details with you. What part of the country are you based? Stuart

Crumbs! I didn't realise that Pongo was being wathed by so many. OK at the show PONGO was 100% successfull. Two full tanks were accumulated over the duration and not a single whip inside and nothing I (or anybody else) could detect outside. The Mrs told me to dump the "blue" in the skip. However, on the way home with a good half tank full we pulled into a services to use the facility. This time there was a bit of a whif when the trap was initially opened, I guess because it had been shaken about a lot while driving. However after a few minutes it was OK to use. Does anybody with the £82.00 worth of posh alternative have a similar experience I would like to know? I will take some photo,s of the instalation and the bits and put them on my web site. Then I will post the web address on this forum. Thanks for the interest. Regards

Pongo development continues. A taped up cardboard box template is now covered in silicone rubber. When cured the cardboard will be taken out leaving a flexible rubber box that will be part of the flexible ducting to connect the fan input directly to the casette cap.

Clive You're a genius as usual, only one query: would it be possible to vent to the bottom of the toilet locker rather than through the door as I don't really want to have to cut a hole in mine, assuming of course that I can find a suitable position for the fan? Maybe putting the fan in a housing and then leading a pipe from it through the bottom? What do you think?

Hi Mel, Anything is possible if you have the determination. I looked at SOG and concluded that the door was the obvious first place that was not application dependant, however there is space to take a vent out underneath most vans. I need to be carefull in this area as my loo is over a wheel arch. I wouldn,t start drilling any holes in yours yet until development of PONGO has concluded. Silicon rubber of any thickness takes a long while to cure so I guess I won,t be doing any more on the ducting until after the week end. My intention is that the door will close onto the rubber box which will then surround the fan. Did you have a look at the pictures on the web? Regards

Hi Clive Yup I had a shuftie at the web pictures, that's what made me think about venting at the bottom as I didn't want to 'chop' my van about any more than it already has been since the fire damage ... I think it has suffered enough!!!

Just a quick update, We spent another week end away in the van and once again PONGO performed faultlessly. So perhaps the silicon rubber molding curing in the garage is not required. so far so good. But thinking of other comments, yes a small extractor fan ducted into the loo enclosure to expel air to outside should work providing the emptying cap of the casette has a decent sized breather routed high up in the compartment to ensure zero spillage. Regards

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
Do you think that the electrical items would be available from Maplins or CPC? Also where do you get the silicon from?

The electrical items should be available from RS components, including the Silicon rubber although you can get this at most builders merchants. Maplins I don,t know as their range is not as extensive as RS. Having had two successfull long week ends I suspect that the silicon rubber embeleshment won,t be used, although its made and on the garage bench. I have a spare microswitch or two in my coggle box if you want one. The ally bracketry I made to support the microswitch you will have to sort yourself. It was never intended to be a set of DIY instructions but just me being cheap skate! The plastic cap came from a water carrier! Regards

Clive You've got me thinking! Never mind 'smell-less' toilets, what about 'smelly drains'!! I've been trying to think if your PONGO contraption could be adapted to make a similar system to vent waste water tanks but as yet I've not managed to work out how to attach the vent pipe for the fan without ending up sucking loads of murky water out!!! I suppose not letting the tank get over-filled is a possible solution to this little conundrum. Also, getting to the top of the tank (which is logially the only place where a vent pipe could safely be put where it wouldn't draw the water) without having to remove the waste tank would also be a major problem ... I would think that any item that was forthcoming would have a great sales potential as most people who have a van have smells coming from their waste tanks at some time or another!!!! As the saying goes "Your mission, should you choose to accept it ..." Any suggestions welcome!

Hi Mel, Well, yes we do all sometimes forget to put the plugs in the holes before we go down the road and its amazing how far one can travel discussing what the local farmers must have have sprayed on their fields before you realise its been with you for 10 miles! The PONGO on the loo is OK because it only runs when the trap is open. It would be a bit more difficult to achieve this interlock with the grey water tank. When do you turn it ON? If perhaps it came on when the engine was running (like the 12 volt fridge) then that would work. OK, to take it from here you will need say a inch diameter plastic pipe from the top of the tank going up as high as possible before going to the ducting for the extracting fan. It would also be prudent to fit a ping-pong water trap (like on a snorkel) to keep fluids out of the pipe and the electrics. I guess that the fan electrics would need to be conformally coated else they would rot out in a couple of years. I think I will just keep puting the plugs in. Nice idea though regards Clive

Hi Clive Unfortunately sometimes putting the plug in doesn't work. Another idea is to try to put in to the pipes some sort of non-return valve which as it stops water would I assume stop the pongs? I'll have to have a look see what I can come up with. Don't suppose you know where to get one from??

Hi Mel, The problem with using a non return valve is they always require a small pressure to open them. With a sink or shower pan waste the head of water is very very small. Theoretically it might work using something like ping-pong ball based non return valves, but the smallest bit of crud in it will render it useless. And guess what we put down the plug holes? Crud! So I don,t think you will do better than a "U" bend if you have sufficient head to make it work. If you can use a "U" bend when static then the negative pressure fan to the top of the grey water tank could well solve the problems when mobile. But the instalation of this needs to ensure that no fluids get to the fan. Great project, but putting the plugs in works for us! Regards C.

Archived