a special Public Holiday

twooks

hi guys - just briefly passing through - got this link from some friends who've asked me to publicise it

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched

requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance

Sunday in November each year. To be known as the National Remembrance

Holiday, it's got three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have

given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain

2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what

it stands for;

3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and

Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the

UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

ciao - see you all at Easter :D :D :D

B-)

Guest Tracker

Because Remembrance Sunday is already a day off and for this reason coupled with general apathy and lack of education it goes largely ignored by the younger generations.

Look at the audience content of any Remembrance gathering and note the age groups - as well as the age groups that watch the Remembrance services and celebrations on TV, and they contain proportionately very few young people.

There is the hope that a specific day off might draw it more into the public eye but that will depend on media support and the right kind of publicity and for that I have little faith in either the government or the media.

Personal view: in short, no.

Not because of that specific event, but because it will just further erode the competitiveness of England (or the UK if extended to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

If people want to take specific days off from work, they can use their entitlement to paid holidays within their individual emplyoment contract so to do.

The following number are only a rough guess, but if we assume there to be 25 million people in employment on the island of Britain, out of the total population of 65 ish million, and then assume that they all get yet another Public Holiday with pay off (or an alternative day in lieu if their emplyer needs some of them to cover on that Public Holiday), then that's another 25 million "Man-days" (or "person-days") of productivity and output lost by the economy in Britain.

Another 25 million days of pay having to be paid by private Companies and by taxpayers to Public Sector employees, for no return in terms of output/sales/profits/service whatsover, and other 25 million days of Employers National Insurance having to be paid to the Government, and Employers Pension Cotributions where applicable on that pay, without any return whatsoever.

Plus the additional costs of having to pay premium rate to anyone who the employer needs to work to cover that day, and the employers NI contributions on that premium rate pay.

The economy is now a Global one.

Just look at the way jobs are bleeding away from the retively very expensive, relatively low-output-per-unit-labour-cost countries like the UK, to the low-cost, very high output countries in the Far East.

Jobs that you might have applied for 5/10/15 years ago, or indeed been employed in then in the UK, but that UK workers have now simply priced themselves out of....because other employees in other countries do them better and/or for a lot less.

If the UK is to have any hope of slowing it's rate of economic decline relative to the newer more efficient emerging industrialised economies, it seems to me that people really need to change their thinking from "How can I do even less for more benefits" to "How can I be more efficient and effective in my work, to improve my chances of still having a job and all the lovely benefits that go with it in 5/10/15 years time".

The idea of yet another Public Holiday in the face of such stark economic reality strikes me as rather like whistling happily whilst sitting in a sinking rowing boat and shooting holes in it below the waterline.

hi again,

re Rememberance sunday - I think we should observe the 11th November, hiding it on a convenient sunday morning always strikes me as a cop-out.

re 'uk productivity' we already attend work for longer hours over more days than anywhere else in Europe - imo and ime we attend work for too many hours - less hours is more likely to improve productivity not reduce it.

Public Holidays - should give more time for people to relate to families and friends - not sit on a motorway - hang around shopping centres - wander round B&Q

would be nice to spread the days around - no problem with St Georges day but the timing is lousy - April - Easter - May Day - May Bank Holiday

October November is better timing - could even tie it with half-term

B-)

A friend of mine used to contract in Belgium.

Dec 26 not a public holiday but Nov 11 is.

In France VE (May 8) day is always marked, at least in Normandy, with ceremony and releasing of doves etc.

Even Germans know that date - it's the day the war ended they say.

Makes you wonder why we are so embarassed about celebrating these occasions.

;-)

we used to celebrate Commonwealth Day when I was a kid - apparently it had been Empire Day - but that was before my time - honest.

we went to school - someone raised the union jack - we were told about the commonwealth [sort of] sangs a few rousing sea shanty stuff - as well as Keel Row Bobby Shaftoe - don't think we ever sang cushie butterfield tho ;-))

lowered th flag and went off for a half days holiday - which to be brutally honest is the only reason I remember it happening!

not making any point - just a gentle reminiscence -

also remember the Salvation Army band marching through the town on certain Sundays and the kids following them - free entertainment !

B-) B-)

twooks - 2008-02-05 2:23 PM

hi again,

re Rememberance sunday - I think we should observe the 11th November, hiding it on a convenient sunday morning always strikes me as a cop-out.

re 'uk productivity' we already attend work for longer hours over more days than anywhere else in Europe - imo and ime we attend work for too many hours - less hours is more likely to improve productivity not reduce it.

Public Holidays - should give more time for people to relate to families and friends - not sit on a motorway - hang around shopping centres - wander round B&Q

would be nice to spread the days around - no problem with St Georges day but the timing is lousy - April - Easter - May Day - May Bank Holiday

October November is better timing - could even tie it with half-term

B-)

Hi Jackie -

In reality no one forces you to work whatever number of hours you, or anyone else does. You and I and everyone else chooses the work-reward bargain that we have

On any day, any employee is completely free to hand in their notice and seek to obtain a different job which they feel better suits their personal work-leisuretime preference.

Soz, but your comment on productivity simply isn't correct. Working less hours per se can NEVER improve overall productivity.

Changing working practices and improving employee job-flexibility can, as can outsourcing al or part of the work abroad to lower labour cost/higher-per-head productivity emplyees, or investing in automated processes rather than the inherently unreliable (and in the UK hugely expensive in total costs) human employee.

You say you are in favour of adding to the current number of Public Holidays.

OK, but in reality they need to be paid for.

So, in order to be able to fund each additional day that you are recommending, please could you put some numbers to the following specific questions:

A. How much extra Council Tax per year are you personally willing to pay in order to fund that extra day-off-with-pay-without-any-work-in-return for all Council workers employed by your Local Authority?

B. And in addition, how much extra Income Tax are you personally willing to pay in order to fund that extra-day-off-with-pay-without-any-work-in-return for all Public Sector workers emplyed by the Government at National level?

C. And in addition, how much extra Income tax are you personally willing to pay in order to make up the shortfall to the Exchequer from the losses in Corporation tax that would result?

D. And if you are emplyed by a Private Sector Company, how many people in your Company do you personally think need to be made redundant in order that the Company can make-up for the additional one-two-hundred-and-sixtyeth loss of annual productivity that they lose for each additional Public Holiday?

I know the amounts of money that you will have to agree to pay under ech of these cost-headings in exchange for your extra Public Holiday can only be an approximate amount.....perhaps you could estimate to the nearest £50 for each of the four of them.

hi Bruce,

number of hours spent at work -

try finishing at your correct time in a lot of firms in the UK and see what reaction you get! one old boss of mine asked if the lad [who worked for me] was coming back with sandwiches for everyone - I said - not until tomorrow - when I expect him in at or before 8.00 - ie at least an hour before said boss

number of hours spent at work bears absolutely no relationship to actual work done - and tired workers are less productive than fresh n happy ones - at least ime.

Work at the same weekly rate for productive hours - no problem, pay someone more to skive off officially as well as unofficially - no chance

err - can't remember the rest of the post

hang on a minute .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

oh yeah - though off topic by now,

I'm in favour of people attending work for less hours - and getting a balanced life style - learning to chill out and enjoy some birdsong - talking to people - reading good books listening to good music - getting some fresh air - then when they do go into work I'd really like an hours work in return for the agreed hours pay! and I'd also like that work to be effective and appropriate and efficient - I'd like them to do whatever it is that they do pleasantly happily and to do it once and do it right - with the sort of consideration to the customer that they would hope to get in return

so - in answer to points A B C D - none - because my way you wouldn't incur additional costs - you would actually save money - see ??

:D

now - I really am off this time - see you at Easter - have fun - cos I intend to xx J

B-)

Archived