Motorhome Jacks

Corky 8

Yesterday was fine weather here, so decided to fit the rear mud flaps I,d bought, I always use a trolly jack to make things easier with a trusty pair of axle stands for safety, But the two ton Trolly jack stuggled to lift the rear end of the M/H on one side and I brought the Fiat scissor jack into play aswell , that too I think was on its limit even though its supposedly is designed for the job ? eventually managed to jack each individual wheel up using both types of jack,and I think I now need to look at three ton plus size of trolly Jack , How do the rest of you go on when tackling punctures when on the road. what Jack do you use

:-) I thought about a bottle jack Dave, Ive got an eight ton jack which would fit under it is a Alko Chassis, it was just the weight I was thinking about , I was hoping someone would know of a lightweight trolly jack that would do the job, I will no doubt end up with the bottle jack as well as the Fiat one.

Guest Tracker

Any jack, other than the one intended, that will fit under a chassis with the tyre inflated may well not fit when the tyre is deflated and may mean you are carrying the added weight of a jack you may not be able to use?

Also the jack intended for a panel van does not always fit on a coachbuilt and the best time to discover this is at night in the wind and rain on the M25.

Why not let the air out of tyre and advise us all what works and what don't in the true spirit of the forum.

Thanks in anticipation - but I won't hold my breath!

Me? I'll phone the RAC Arrival and put the kettle on while I wait!

Tracker - 2008-02-05 8:34 PM

Any jack, other than the one intended, that will fit under a chassis with the tyre inflated may well not fit when the tyre is deflated and may mean you are carrying the added weight of a jack you may not be able to use?

Also the jack intended for a panel van does not always fit on a coachbuilt and the best time to discover this is at night in the wind and rain on the M25.

Why not let the air out of tyre and advise us all what works and what don't in the true spirit of the forum.

Thanks in anticipation - but I won't hold my breath!

Me? I'll phone the RAC Arrival and put the kettle on while I wait!

:D Thanks Rich I knew I could depend on you, I took your idea one step further and Measured the distance from the bottom of the wheel rim to the ground ,then Measured the distance from the jacking point to the ground, and subracted the measurement of the Wheel rim to the Ground and Came up with Tyre Services phone number *-) but I think most trolly jacks would fit under some part of the M/H Chassis if a tyre were flat, 8-) djchapple do you have a map with all these ramp on we could all use it. Thanks Clive but if I showed a leg I think it would only attract the attention of a hungry dog, :->

At home, a big trolley jack, and then axle stands.

But kept in the MH is a 5 tonne bottle jack - bought from "Feu Vert" a sort of Spanish equivalent of Halfords. Very compact to carry, and certainly does the job on our 3.5 tonne MH, it lifts one wheel off the ground with ease. I also carry an adjustable axle stand.

HERE'S BRUCE'S TIP OF THE DAY:

Carry a heavy duty adjustable, fold-up axle stand.

For two reasons: Safety; and because of the following cunning plan.....

It is possible that on some vehicles the "reach" (lowest to highest height) of a compact jack like a bottle jack may not be enough to get a fully inflated wheel back on to the wheel studs, if you had to start lifting the axle when the tyre that was on it at the time was flat.

BUT, with an adjustable axle stand, you can screw the adjustable top section of your bottle jack right down to get into under a flat-tyre axle; pump up to it's maximum expansion, then place axle stand under axle, then remove bottle jack and screw out top section again, re-insert under axle and jack up axle by a further amount.

(For safety's sake, ALWAYS put the axle stand under the axle again once you've got sufficient height, before working on the wheel).

Simple eh?

That's a large Bailey's you each owe me. :-D

Hi all, well finding that the jack on my hymer was next to useless, and had a very small footprint on the ground, and not wanting to carry round a trolley jack, I got myself an air jack as used by the police etc, just plugs into the exhaust and up it goes, costs around the same price as a small trolley jack.

I also have some small alloy axle stands, nice and light and can take the weigh, these came with the hymer and I have no idea what make they are and have not seen them any place for sale.

terry

Whilst waiting or the RAC man ( and having brewed him a cuppa just to get things of to good start) you could put a couple of these out the back,

http://www.tchibo.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/uk/-/GBP/TdUkDisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=0013497

(Collapsible Cone c/w Integrated flashing LEDs. 2 reflector strips and 4 rubber feet for stability. Incl. 2 AAA batteries and carry bag with zip.

Rgds

Only carry the standard scissor jack. Used it for real on the hard shoulder of the M20 to change a blown out rear wheel. No problem whatsoever, the wheel was changed and I was just replacing destroyed rim into the carrier by the time the emergency services arrived and was on our way a couple of minutes later.

Bas

terry1956 - 2008-02-06 11:52 AM

I got myself an air jack as used by the police etc, just plugs into the exhaust and up it goes, costs around the same price as a small trolley jack.

terry

Has anyone used one of these air jacks on their motorhome?. Its got to be a good weight saver (that means I can bring back more wine)

Syd, be careful using your corner steadies as jacks. One of our Centre members did that and the chasis flexed into a nice curve before it lifted the wheels off the ground curveing the floor with it leaving all the furnishings in place thus popping a lot of the screws out which were holding the furnishings to the floor "OH DEAR". Pulled the floor away from the side pannels in places too. It was a long 'van 22feet which made things worse. I have very strong corner steadies on the back of my Motorhome but the hand book sez " DON'T USE AS JACKS "

Ranger - 2008-02-07 1:01 PM

Syd, be careful using your corner steadies as jacks. One of our Centre members did that and the chasis flexed into a nice curve before it lifted the wheels off the ground curveing the floor with it leaving all the furnishings in place thus popping a lot of the screws out which were holding the furnishings to the floor "OH DEAR". Pulled the floor away from the side pannels in places too. It was a long 'van 22feet which made things worse. I have very strong corner steadies on the back of my Motorhome but the hand book sez " DON'T USE AS JACKS "

Thanks for that, didnt think of that and I have done it several times too.

Not for punctures though. Will not be doing it again

snailblazer

I had ultrseal in both the caravan and the towing vehicle, Kia Sedona, plus Tyron bands when I had new tyres fitted last year. No change in the vehicle steering or wheel ballance and Im quiet satisfied with it

To gain more clearance drive thepunctured wheel over the spare,then jack up, you can then remove spare and fit it. Personally I agree with previous posters call out the breakdown van,thats the best place to keep an appropriate jack.

Any way why need to raise vehicle to fit mudflaps surely it would be possible to crawl underneath to fit them?

yeti - 2008-02-07 5:44 PM

To gain more clearance drive thepunctured wheel over the spare,then jack up, you can then remove spare and fit it. Personally I agree with previous posters call out the breakdown van,thats the best place to keep an appropriate jack.

Any way why need to raise vehicle to fit mudflaps surely it would be possible to crawl underneath to fit them?

8-) Not really my crawling days are over, the wheel arch required drilling as these were HGV 18in Trailer mud flaps I was fitting not retro fit ones ( if there are any at all available)I also wanted to put Stainless Steel washers infront of the bolt heads/mud flap and to the rear of the nuts so to get the drill in to be able to drill the wheelarch, the wheel required removing , Hence I noticed the short commings of both types of Jack, and do you not think driving a flat tyre over the spare would be more dangerous , *-)

The following earlier forum thread may be useful regarding inflatable jacks:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3137&posts=6

I've probably said this before but, if you think there's any possibility of you needing to change a wheel on your motorhome yourself, you would be well-advised to practice beforehand to confirm what's involved.

With my Hobby, I found it impossible to jack up the rear of the motorhome using the method shown in the Ford handbook or to lower the spare-wheel using the Ford tool supplied with the vehicle. On some motorhomes (early Eura-Mobil Profilas for example) changing a rear wheel can be a daunting challenge due to minimal wheel-arch clearance.

Tyre sealant is a good idea, but wouldn't have protected against the tyre-valve failure I encountered last year. For that matter, neither did being able to lower the spare-wheel and jack up the Hobby's rear end do me a power of good when the valve on the opposite rear tyre also gave up the ghost shortly after!

djchapple - 2008-02-05 9:34 PM

I have seen it suggested that you should drive the punctured wheel up a levelling ramp thus increasing the space underneath the chassis.

Has anyone any ideas on viability and usefulness of this suggestion?

Ah, another use for those yellow wedge shaped things. Good idea- hope I never have to us it :-D

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread Derek (I really should know better and use the search). To all those advocating to ring up the breakdown service, I am sure that you will still need the required tools etc. Also from my own experience it is a very wise move to have a dry run at changing the wheel at home on the drive where you can do it at your own (or somebody elses) pace. My experience with this on a Dethleffs was that the spare could not be removed due to a chassis member fouling the cradle :-S

Archived