water tank lid

DENBOY

Hi dennis,

the screw on lid to your water tank should seal, have a look inside the lid there should be a rubber sealing ring set into a groove running round the edge. check and see if it has perished or gone hard if so replace it. a bit of vasoline on the treads and seal will help make it water tight and easier to get off when cleaning the tank. regards Geoff

Guest Tracker

We had a similar tank made by Fiamma many years ago and it never did seal in spite of a new cap and new sealing rings.

I put it down to distortion with the weight of water against the unsupported sides but even with the sides wedged flat in the locker it still leaked, so I applied a liberal layer of silicone on the cap screw thread and round the cap base which cured it.

The nature of the plastic was such that the silicone did not really stick well to the tank so I would have been able to undo it and reseal it had I wanted to.

As I had never needed access to previous vans with underslung tanks I saw no reason to clean inside this one every year either.

DENBOY - 2008-02-08 7:04 PM

hi me again,

should the large access lid (like a jam pot top) on top of my fresh water tank be water tight? because when i fill it to the top it aint!

thanks again dennis

Might be me just being thick, but just how full are you filling it? There should be a bit of a gap at the top of the tank.

Oh, forgot to say, welcome to the nut house! :-D

Mel B - 2008-02-08 9:15 PM

DENBOY - 2008-02-08 7:04 PM

hi me again,

should the large access lid (like a jam pot top) on top of my fresh water tank be water tight? because when i fill it to the top it aint!

thanks again dennis

Might be me just being thick, but just how full are you filling it? There should be a bit of a gap at the top of the tank.

Oh, forgot to say, welcome to the nut house! :-D

Pray tell us how you manage to fill your tank in this way Mel. Most people just fill it until it shoots out of the overflow.

Hi DENBOY, had the same problem on my Holdsworth Ranger many years and a three 'vans ago. the fresh water tank was inside the 'van under the settee, and made of too flexible a plastic. I over came the problem by securing the lid with several stainless steel self tapers and extra sealant. Not a pretty job but it did the trick. All my vans since then have had outside tanks slung between the skirt and chassis, much better. P.S. Welcome to the Forum!! you don't need to be nuts but it does help.

Dennis:

The filler-cap on my Herald Templar's fresh-water tank was watertight and I support Geoff's diagnosis of a replacement seal being needed.

I think CAK (www.caktanks.co.uk) supplied Herald tanks (certainly my Templar's waste tank came from them), so they may be able to provide a replacement seal. If you obtain a CAK brochure, you'll find that various inspection, filling and access caps are advertised and one of these (5" red cap for tanks sealed with an O-ring) looks exactly like the one used on my Herald.

The 'female connection' water-tank access cap on my present Hobby is also watertight - in fact it seals so well that I've needed to make a crude tool to undo the thing!

Archived