FREE Low Bridge POIs for your SatNav

Way2Go

the icons are the red squares referred to.

There is quite a list!!!

The Bitmap files of those POI's, which I have down loaded that dont have an icon, when clicked on have nothing to preview, unlike say the truck stop which has small truck in the middle of the screen.

Is it possible to copy and paste icons from other PIOs into those Bitmaps to make my own???

Is this making sence???

the icons are the red squares referred to.

There is quite a list!!!

The Bitmap files of those POI's, which I have down loaded that dont have an icon, when clicked on have nothing to preview, unlike say the truck stop which has small truck in the middle of the screen.

Is it possible to copy and paste icons from other PIOs into those Bitmaps to make my own???

Is this making sence???

Got a bit of finger trouble there?

Are you saying that you've downloaded lots of POIs and none of them have a .BMP to go with them?

What you should have (with any POI download) is the following:-

my_POI_example.OV2 (the location of the POIs)

my_POI_example.BMP (the icon on the map)

If all the .BMP files are blank there's obviously something going wrong.  The 'red sqaure' may be a default if it doesn't find a matching .BMP file?

Lets narrow it down a bit.  Which POI are you trying to download and from where.  I'll have a go and see what I get.

If we can get one working then there's no reason why the others shouldn't work.

BTW.  You can use any .BMP for any POI as long as the name is identical.  IE Tesco.OV2 and Tesco.BMP.

Thanks to everyone for all the useful info on this site. we are new motor homers with our first sat nav. It is a Lucca so will all the instructions previously recorded on here be the same for us? We have never down loaded anything at all yet but am now determined to have a go following your excellent advice. Thanks again. Way 2 Go would you mind if I PM'd you with any problems please. It is quite embarrassing having to show how old & ignorant we are!!!

Sure, that's not a problem but you may find others might benefit from the information but that's your choice.

With regards the Lucca forget it.  If it's the one included in the 'Elegance Pack' with your new motorhome its of limited use and you certainly can't update it - well I haven't found a way.

When we got our new motorhome last Spring the first thing I did was rip out the Lucca and replace it with my TomTom.  I can't even sell it on ebay ;-)

gadjo - 2008-02-13 7:58 PM way2go this is one which does not work looks like the link I've tried to attach hasn't worked I'll email you the Bitmap file if thats ok

Struth - this is like pulling teeth!  You have to help me to help you by answering what I've asked of you.

Yes I got the .BMP and yes it was blank but I asked you where you downloaded it from so I could download it for myself to see if I got the same result.

I don't yet know whether it's a problem at the source or whether its something happening at your end.

Please post the source of the download and if possible provide a hyperlink.

W2G

Thanks way 2 go You have confirmed my fears re the lucca. Maybe its not me after all. Why do Swift include something like that in their package I have to ask. Maybe a way of getting rid of surplus stock!!!

Anybody had any adverse comments on the Tom Tom.

TomTom and Garmin are two of the leading popular brands and are therefore viewed as 'industry standard' devices.  I know nothing about the Garmin but I understand it is a good product.

I've had a couple of TomTom devices and have always found them to be intrusive, easy to use, logical in approach and adaptable.

I have an older GO 510 (with a Western and Central European map making it a GO 710) and love it to pieces.

Its much bulkier than the newer thiner devices but it comes with a docking cradle to attach to my PC (instead of lying on the desk using a USB device) and has a much better window mount where it has a 'snap fit' instead of sliding into the window sucker.

ALL TomTom devices can be customised by adding your own POIs and you can include a warning sound of spoken word when approaching your selected POI.

They interface well with Microsoft AutoRoute so you can design an itinerary for example then convert the file into a TomTom format before installing on to your device.

For around £100-£150 you can enjoy the pleasures of never getting lost again and can 'see' speed cameras before the see you.  All for less than two speeding fines!!

Hey . . . . I should work for TomTom :-)

please dont send private emails as I am sure there are many people reading this with much interest, I am going to have a go, very nervously. Way2go could you please repost concerning linking the sound to the POI. We have the TOM TOM 710 and this will be the first time we have downloaded any thing on to it apart from updates, is it easy to delete items as I do not think that we have much memory left. Sorry to ask what are silly questions to some but I have no idea. many thanks for your answers and posts. *-)

i have a tomtom 720t, ist sat nav and it,s excellent, especially after following waytogos poi advice, especially poi edit which means i can it programme to disappear up my own $%%$£" while sitting at the computer.

the new tomtom home programme is very easy to use and has comprehensive poi downloads from other users

Hi ALL

We were broken into the other night and the littile B*****Ds stole me sat nav :-( and me car and me sons motor bike!!!!!!

any way lukily I saved all the PIO's onto me computer ready to down load on to the replacement.

The Best of British camp sites PIO is down loaded from www.poihandler.com (sorry way2go would not save as hyperlink). This is one of the POI's which did not have an icon.

thanks for all help by the way way2go

casstoly - 2008-02-15 12:58 PM please dont send private emails as I am sure there are many people reading this with much interest

I hope you didn't think I didn't want PMs?  I'm more than happy to receive a PM from anyone its just that if someone wants to know how to do something you can usually bet on other people being in the same postition ;-)

OK, linking sounds to POIs.  I've attached the posting I made which in this case links a low bridge POI to an inbuilt TomTom sound.

Since posting it the web site in question no longer provides low bridge downloads.  A more up to date web site is http://www.trucknav.napalmfiles.com/?dir=.&sort_by=name&sort_as=desc where you can download other interesting things and will need to navigate to the 'Low_Bridges_Data' folder to get at the OV2 files.

I'll try to update my 'how to' when I get some time but in the meantime you can use it as a guide to the general principle.

TomTom - Installing a POI and linking to a sound.pdf

gadjo - 2008-02-17 3:02 PM Hi ALL We were broken into the other night and the littile B*****Ds stole me sat nav :-( and me car and me sons motor bike!!!!!! any way lukily I saved all the PIO's onto me computer ready to down load on to the replacement. The Best of British camp sites PIO is down loaded from www.poihandler.com (sorry way2go would not save as hyperlink). This is one of the POI's which did not have an icon. thanks for all help by the way way2go

What a bummer, I hope the get caught and have their fingers broken at 5 minute intervals . . . .

OK, that is making more sense.  I downloaded the Best of British from POIHandler and got a 2kb .BMP file which worked whereas I downloaded the same thing using POIEdit and it produced a 21kb .BMP file which was 'blank'.

Not sure whats going on there but I attach what I downloaded from POIHandler which looks fine on my PC.  Let me know how it looks on yours?

W2G 

Best of British sites.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I downloaded the Low Bridge POI, using Way2Go's advice. Everything worked perfectly, but....I now get a warning when approaching Speed Cameras. How did that happen? I thought you had to pay for that (I'm an accountant and never buy anything if I don't absolutely need to!)

brayn - 2008-03-01 9:33 PM I downloaded the Low Bridge POI, using Way2Go's advice. Everything worked perfectly, but....I now get a warning when approaching Speed Cameras. How did that happen? I thought you had to pay for that (I'm an accountant and never buy anything if I don't absolutely need to!)

Hi Brayn,

That's a good thing then huh?

Seriously though, if you downloaded the low bridge POI, plus BMP icon, plus sound OGG file then all that 'should' happen (if you follow the 'warn when near' instructions) is that you'll get a warning when approaching the low bridge.  This shouldn't trip any other POI.

If you are using a TomTom then it does come with buit-in traffic POIs but lots of people bin then for better served and more up to date alternatives.

Out of interest, what traffic sounds are you hearing?  Are the verbal warnings or sounds (i.e. like a bell)? 

Hi

thre noise is an urgent bell sound.

There has always been a warning in France but, until the recent download, nothing in the UK. It's getting a bit like my computer, when my regular cry is 'I didn't know it did that!' .

I assume this is another benefit of ageing, people keep wanting to help you even though you didn't ask them to.

Archived