Bypass for Basle, Switzerland

rowenuk

Has anyone actually driven the new(?) A98/A861 German autobahn route from the A5, North of Basle, through the SW corner of the Black Forest to meet the Swiss A3 East of Basle?

Been watching it's progress for years but now all up to date maps seem to show it being complete. Is it?

Anything to avoid the German/Swiss border on the A5 at Basle!!

We use the A5 route every year and have never had a problem. The French A35 that empties you into Basle yes, but not the A5 which is straight through. We do tend to go in June though so perhaps things hot up a bit in the high season?

Last used in 2006 and it wasn't finished then but there were extensive roadworks around Basle which extended along the A3 for some distance. I believe the work was scheduled to complete sometime this year.

Basle itself was also in a bit(!) of a mess with roadworks. Always feel it a good place to avoid if on the road.

For info on current situation take a look at

http://www.tcs.ch/main/de/home/verkehrsinfo/baustellen.html

You might want to use a translator.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Yes we went through this area last year and from recommendations on here avoided Basel by going via A5 and then the A98 then A3

If you have not seen them before the "Rhine falls" are on this route and quite spectacular (particularly in a boat :-D )

Agree with M'lud that the Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen are well worth seeing.

For anyone going that way I can recommend Camping 'Rheinwiesen' at Feuerthalen. Approx 1 Mile S/E of Schaffhausen at 47.68763N 8.65463E. Only average pitches but good facilities and the grassed lido area right on the bank of the Rhine takes some beating. A bus (fifteen minute walk) takes you direct to the Falls.

PS. Can anyone tell me how to add a photo to a posting?

Guest JudgeMental

when writing a new post you click "attach a file after posting" box at bottom of page. then browse and select picture file and thats it.

its best to reduce size of picture first by emailing it to yourself and you get the choice of "size" choose smallest. then save to desktop making it easier to find for uploading

possibly easier ways but its the way I do it and it works *-)

911782841_summer2007032.JPG.1012f0cdd91231971f28bc8e39603e4e.JPG

Guest JudgeMental

I am doing this for RonB who was having difficulty loading picture....

"For anyone going that way I can recommend Camping 'Rheinwiesen' at Feuerthalen. Approx 1 Mile S/E of Schaffhausen at 47.68763N 8.65463E. Only average pitches but good facilities and the grassed lido area right on the bank of the Rhine takes some beating."

IMG_0032f.jpg.de003dc5afa03861094edea82c82957a.jpg

Archived