a bit of damp

Minstrel

We only know that the habitation check showed that there was evidence of damp on the offside luton. We would love to have been able to get advice. My husband thinks that it's only that he was a bit enthusiastic with the hose (not pressure washer) when he washed it before we went away. Is it possible that he may have put too much water UP the drain?

Anyway have a good trip to Belgium, we loved Bruges when we went there, and Gent, but didn't get to Antwerp. So many places to go - and when grandson goes to school in September we'll be able to have longer trips - aged parents willing!!

If the damp is just where the trim is, it is possible that it might be that your husband has squirted the water into it where the sealant needs renewing and is no longer watertight. If it is, it could just need removing, clearing out of the old sealant, new sealant applying and then the trim re-affixing.

We had this on our old Talbot Elddis Autoquest in the rear corner, we only found out when we took it for a check prior to us trading it in for a new 'van. The chap who found the damp said it was just that the sealant needed renewing and, in case we chose not to do a trade in, he also told us how to fix it, which was quite an easy thing to do. As it was we did trade it in and the small bit of damp didn't affect it's value at all (we got a very good PX price for it). We had been totally unaware of the damp and had we not been having it checked for a PX I don't know how long it would've been before we knew there was a 'problem'.

How are your DIY skills?

Guest JudgeMental

Great weekend in Brugge, dry and sunny but icy cold!

EuraMobil dealer fixed the poor fitting garage door that to be honest should never have left factory......

Back on topic :-D

I told the technician working on my van about damp problem in over cab that Heather had diagnosed recently . He immediately walked me over to a Activa model and pointed at drain hole (in picture) and said this gets blocked and needs cleaning that that was normally the problem. He then went on to say sometimes they drill a hole in the centre of strip ( second picture) one on each side and this normally sorts draining of moisture problem

So it sounds like an easy DIY fix:-D

DSC01149.jpg.84d68082a2e2e91307e4a143165fe3db.jpg

DSC01150.jpg.4b4acdc1fe4c5306e6f06795ed2d085d.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Ah I forgot! warranty issues.

As I was there, I also had damp test done on Friday (60 Euro) and when girl was filling in warranty book I said its 2 months before vans first birthday can they stamp it April? both her and other girl working in office both said it does not matter as long as the stamp is in that year it is OK at least with EuroMobil.

So where as I thought dealer was doing me a favor saying I can come in the summer or whenever for damp test - it seems as if its a EuraMobil policy.....

So I think the previous posters who were told otherwise where dealt with a bit harshly by their dealers..... *-)

Thanks for the pictures and the info. We have got a drain hole both sides, but also a hairline crack in the sealant on the luton trim. This could be because we perhaps aren't as careful as we could be opening the door and putting it into the clamp that holds it open.

As Chris is good at DIY, we just need to choose a good sealant (any ideas?) and get it done soon - and make sure we keep the drain holes clear.

Hi,

Sikaflex have an exellent range of sealants, not cheap but are widely used by the marine and caravan/camper industry. I think sikaflex 512 is the one that would suit your application. In your location a marine chandlers or local caravan/camper accessory shop should stock it. hope this helps regards geoff

Guest Tracker

Attention to detail is not a Chelston strong point and when we had the first and then the second new leisure batteries both not take a charge from new I had to push quite hard to get them to check the charging system and then get me a good battery.

In the end the service was good but why do they shoot themselves in the foot by being so obstructive in the first place.

Perhaps many dealers do not appreciate the advertising power of a well satisfied customer?

It seems the appointed 'fitter' just grabs the nearest battery from the store and installs it without checking it but on the third time a really helpful guy checked several and found me a 'good' one.

I shudder to think who got the 'poor' ones? No wonder so many people have problems with leisure batteries if quality control both at the factory and at the dealerships is so poor?

Archived