Hymer paintwork

UNITYJAN

Hi-I'm a newbie on this site so hope some one can help.

We have an 03 Hymer B524 which we have owned for two years and is immaculate, apart from the front of the van which is yellowing around the bonnet and has become patchy above the windscreen.

We have noticed that it seems to be a common occurance with A and B class Hymers, and as we have not used any harsh or abrasive cleaning material, are wondering why this has happened and is there a cure.

Thanks in anticipation!

;-)

Hi unityjan

This thread has come up before so you might need to do some trawling through the threads. Failing that go to 'motorhome facts' look for the folder that deals with various types of van . Highlight HYmer and look on there. There is a mine of information to help you.

However your problem is associated with the fact that the areas you mention are made from GRP and the gelcoat ( the shiney bit) is susceptable to ultra violet light especially in bright sunshine. This has been known about in the yachting industry for 40 years. Go to a chandler and ask for Grp polish. Explain what has happened. It is a very light grinding polish like 'T' cut after a few hours polishing the yellow will slowly disappear. Then get a gelcoat polish with an UV filter, again the chandler will help, and regularly polish you HYmer front end with it. You should get a showroom finish and it will protect it from UV light.

I hope this helps............... Ned :-D B-)

Hi Unity Jan

Plesae do as Ned has suggested.

The reason that maybe you've got this problem is that your van has not been polished on a regular basis. So sitting in constant sunshine- hard to belive I know- with last year's summer, does erode away at the paint protection. This is more prominent especialyy on A class vehicles around the top of the windscreen and along the bonnet line.

We generally give ours a good wash,polish & coating with products like "MER" or "Auotglym" before every season.

Hope this helps

Thai

Archived