Insurance and Trackers

stelynn

Hi all,

We've got a new 'home' on order for delivery in March and are currently going through the insurance quote process.

Some of the insurers insist upon the fitment of a tracking device, of which there are many in the market place. Some are simple devices; available with both gsm/gps network connection; which upon interrogation provide co-ordinates able to be put into a computer to provide an exact location. Then we get what are supposed to be more sophisticated systems which entail annual 3rd party monitoring agreements. These latter systems are generally more expensive in the initial outlay and have ongoing annual costs. Some of these systems have Thatcham category 5 rating and guess what, its these systems which the insurance companies accept, leaving very little choice of which system to fit to our vehicles.

Forgive me for being cynical but over the years we have progressed from a simple alarm, to present day systems which are infinitely more sophisticated, and then the addition of immobilisers (where the manufacturers state that its virtually impossible to start the vehicle without its key), all of which means that the vehicle shouldn't be going anywhere.

I know that in an ideal world we shouldn't need to take these measures but can you see any benefit in a tracker ? is it necessary ? or perhaps we should employ a 24 hour security guard and wouldn't need insurance at all.

Yes I tried to get a quote from Caravan guard the other day but when they started to say that I MUST HAVE a Tracker system I promptly ended the conversation.

Tracker systems maybe ok in UK and Maybe Europe but do they cover all of Europe?? and if not it is an expensive option, even if they do it is expensive as I cannot see our European police bothering too much about tracing our motorhome if it was stolen.

I had a reasonable renewal quote from Comfort Insurance (including european Breakdown cover) today after trying Safeguard and Saga Insurance. as I already have Comfort Insurance will be sticking with them. However I also have the House and travel Insurance with them so i probably received more of a discount for have all my insurance with them. But their House insurance + Travel insurance was very good I thought.

Safguard wanted £366 + for the motorhome and Comfort £277.23 and this for a new Auto-Trail 2.3L 130 multijet purchased Nov 2007.

Our new 'home' is a new 'A' class £50k+.

So far have had 6 quotes varying from £320 up to £1150.

Three have insisted on trackers with two of them stipulating acceptable makes / models.

Still more quotes to get then will have to check varying cover etc.

• 2 weeks later...

MCIA do not insist on a tracker but the excess for theft is higher at £400. Doubled if you do not have a category one alarm & immobiliser fitted. Was at the hairdressers yesterday & she has a freind who had their van lifted in broad daylight. It had wheel clamps on & other devices but no good when nicked in this way. This is where a tracker comes into its own. It would raise the alert immediately.

Motorhomer

zulurita - 2008-02-13 5:16 PM

Yes I tried to get a quote from Caravan guard the other day but when they started to say that I MUST HAVE a Tracker system I promptly ended the conversation.

QUOTE]

just renewed my insurance with caravan guard (2nd year) £287.00 fully comp, (protected no claims) parked on road, value of van £38k. catt 1 alarm.

no mention of tracker or requirement.

pete

It may just relate to your postcode.  If there is a high incidence of car/motorhome theft in your area, insurers will insist on greater protection of their risk.  However, since this varies from insurer to insurer it seems the perceptions of risk and not consistent. 

Research the cost of the alarm/tracker required, and any annual subscription involved.  Consider how many years you may keep your van.  Divide the capital cost of the alarm/tracker by this number.  Decide whether you think the facilities offered are of value to you.  Add the annualised costs involved to the insurance premium quoted, and decide whether the difference is worth paying vis a vis an insurance that does not demand an alarm or tracker.

If the quote for an un-alarmed or un-tracked van is cheaper overall, then decide if the thought of being without alarm and/or tracker frightens you.  If not, just buy the insurance!  You can always add an alarm or tracker later if you want, and you won't be worried about what the insurance company might say if you forget to set either on the one day the van is nicked/broken into.

Archived