The Law of Unintenional Consequences (A bit to do with Sevel Reversing Probems)

RoyH

I am putting this as a separate topic because I don't want to labour the main topics with a bit of rambling.

When I was a Transport Fleet Engineer long ago and had repsonibility for the engineering aspects of national fleet of some 1200 heavy and light goods vehilcles one of the operating companies had a fleet of 80 British Leyland 3.5ton gross FG box vans. Those old enough will remember the cabs had the doors at 45deg on the rear corner of the cab. These were replaced on a rolling programme and new models appeared with various "improvements". One of these was to change the mounting of the rear of the rear leaf springs with a slipper instead of a rubber bushed shackle. Presumblely to eliminate the wear in the rubber bushes.

A few months into the use of those vehicles with this modification and we were finding the the rear gearbox oils seals and bearings were breaking up. To cut this story, which is getting a bit long, the final result of the cause was that they had failed to realise that as the rear axle moved up and down to accomodate road surfaces the arc it was moving in was no longer restrained by the shackle but it was moving futher and the drive shaft was bottoming on the sliding splines. This was pushing the whole of the transmission and the engine forwards and the weakest link being the rear gearbox bearing was collapsing. All of the propshafts had to be shortened I think by, if I rembember correctly, 2 inches and British Leyland paid for the lot.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Sevel engineers have modified something and then continued to use some original components and the have failed to notice that unintentional consequences will result.

Although I don't have a motorhome now, I have a caravan, I am following this with great interest to see what the outcome will be.

I hope some bright spark comes across the basic reason soon. At that time we had people blaming drivers and overloading and all sorts of reasons but eventually by means of an accurate engineering test we proved our point and it was accepted.

History does have a habit of repeatiing itself and even after 30 years and all sorts of computer aids etc,. engineering is still not perfect.

Good Luck.

RoyH.

If this were the case, wouldn't the judder in reverse which is being experienced in the latest Ducatos, affect each and every one of them. I can understand where a fault manifests itself in only some vehicles, say, due to imprecise production tolerances. However, a fundamental design flaw would surely affect each and every vehicle.

Shaun

Ours is van conversion. Three of the others are van conversions. 2 have 2.2 litre engines. The majority are 130 2.3 litre coachbuilt motorhomes, but the inclusion of three vans suggest that either the driveshaft theory is spericals, or it's immaterial.

And who cares?

Fiat should just bite the financial bullet and sort 'em out.

Don't buy a Fiat or Peugeot/Citroen based motorhome is the answer at the moment.

Archived