Dogs in restaurants in Italy?

JeffersonCampervan

We're considering Italy as our destination this year, as usual, travelling with our standard poodle.

We are used to being able to take him into restaurants in France, Germany, Belgium, etc. (unlike here in North America, where a dog can only go into an outdoor patio type restaurant)

What attitudes are we likely to encounter in Italy?

Thanks,

Frank

It will depend on the status of the establishment chosen to eat at.

I have been in a superb Pizza Restuarant near Venice, which is always popular with the locals, when there was even a baby diaper changing being conducted on the restuarant table.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do, but in Venice ? 8-)

As a point of interest we find it difficult to eat out as much in the UK now if we have our little border terrier with us,the reason we are nearly always told is that its against the hygene regulations to allow dogs into places where food is served.I have contacted our local council on the matter & also printed from the internet what I was told & that is that Quote- there is nothing specific in the food safety regulation barring pets from food premises the proprietor of a food business must ensure good hygene practice,such as ensuring food be protected against contamination.In this context, the decision to allow the customers pet onto the premises is at the discretion of the owner.When this has been pointed out in a polite way some have allowed us to eat in the bar.I dont mind that ,I wouldnt expect to take him into a retaurant & I do apreciate that some people dont like to eat whilst being near an animal.Its a fact that some proprietors have misunderstood the law & when enlightened changed their policy. ;-)

I am not a dog lover, however our problem is more with the nanny state we live in. We are brainwashed to believe that infection is all around us and therefore are paranoia with pets in eating places.

I have no problems with dogs that are in my local provided they are in control. There is nothing worse than "he won't touch you" roaming round the local. Whats worse, and I do object to, is the landlord stroking the beast (sorry tootsie) and then pulling my pint without washing his hands.

Sorry to have hijacked your posting

handyman - 2008-02-18 7:38 AM

some children are more of a health hazard than dogs............

YOu have obviously been dining with my kids then.

For a moment I thought this post was about where dogs are on the menu in Italy.

Personaly I would not want to eat in a restraunt along with dogs, not that I don't like them I just do not think that those of us that are not dog lovers ( i like all animals) should be subjected to it unless of course it's a guide dog.

I thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately I don't see one that quite answers my original question.

Maybe I could clarify :

I have found that it is part of the local culture that one can bring one's dog into most eating establishments all through France, Belgium & Germany. We have never been turned away and there is usually at least one other patron in the restaurant with a dog. There seems to be no prohibition, or even reluctance, due to health regulations or local custom.

Is this the case in Italy as well?

Has anyone on this forum actually traveled to Italy with a dog and visited a range of restaurants?

Thanks!

Archived