Miles per gallon

sooty10

Thinking of changing our old Auto Trail Cheyenne for a new Apache 634. Has anyone any idea of any figures regarding mpg. Our present one with a 2.8 TD engine if driven with care I have reached 29mpg on a journey from Southern Spain to the North of England. On reading some of the letters on this forum the talk is the low 20s for the new models. I should also say that I try to keep the speed to 60mph.

When I speak to sales people they are saying that the new engine is 25% more economical. Can anyone put me in the picture before we part with our cash.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Sooty. (?)

Hi, As clive says it depends on how heavy your right foot is! I average about 25mpg on my 100ps 2.2 Fiat thats using Uk motorways and French N roads and motor ways, have covered about 7000 mls in the last year. Actually managed over 30mpg when pottering around the French countryside on D and C roads! I tend to cruise at national speed limmits when on long journeys, lots of grunt and a joy to drive loves overtaking huge lorries on long motorway hills in France, a lot less body roll than the earlier models. good luck Regards geoff

The mpg of newer Sevel vans appears to be about 5mpg lower than the older Mk 2 vans. I too get around 30mpg from my 2.3jtd and would be very a big decision to accept a van using an extra 15% more fuel. I have been watching for comments about this but no one seems to have picked this up in MMM, but I suppose they don't pay for their own fuel. If the sales people are convinced that the new vans are that economical ask them to put it in writing with a money back guarantee, ever seen a guy going backwards very quickly on a bike

Interesting this subject, now not quite motorhomes but relevent engines I believe. I owned a Peugeot 406 estate that I sold to a friend at 18 months old, this was fitted with the first of the Pug common rail Diesels. She has used that, happily without problem, for four years until mid last year when she part exed it for a new 407 purely because she felt the milage was getting high at around 150000.

Now despite being told that the new generation car is about 25% better on fuel economy she has been unable to get it to achieve anything like the manufacturer and dealer say it should do and furthermore it doesn't come close to what she was getting with the 406. She is doing exactly the same mixed type of driving as she did before doing a daily round trip of aproximately 154 miles using mixed roads (A1M, A14 and M11) as well as country B roads.

She wishes that she had kept the 406 and saved herself some money.

Bas

Guest Tracker
johnsandywhite - 2008-02-16 5:13 PM

:-S I cannot for the life of me think of why someone wishing so spend around £40,000 on a Motorhome. Then needs to know the MPG? Buy one costing £5000. That gives you a LOT of fuel to burn up on the road. *-)

When we was younger and money was tight we just did not go so far if the budget would not allow.

The van layout is the first consideration for us, followed by the driveability and potential reliability of both base van and conversion, with economy a lesser consideration - within reason.

Knowing what mpg you are getting gives a good indication of the health of your motor. Obviously if you get a sudden drop in mpg you have something seriously wrong. As already stated we get 30 mpg over 3500 miles of mixed motoring in France, Switzerland and Italy so mountain driving evens out with easy D roads, the only thing we really avoid are French toll roads, we don't drive fast enough to make using them worth while. If your mpg starts to drop away gradually over several tanks of fuel then a regular service and check of injectors should put things right, otherwise we tend to leave things well alone and stick to regular oil & filter changes. Anyway it suits us.

we have a 4 ton burstner with a garage (2600 miles), just got back from a weekend away and the trip computer said we were getting 29.2 mpg on the motorway doing 60mph using cruise and went down to 27.4 driving on a/b roads, fully loaded with a motorcycle in the garage. I have got as little as -20mpg with a heavy right foot in the past.

Guest Tracker
Mr. Grumpy - 2008-02-16 6:14 PM

Knowing what mpg you are getting gives a good indication of the health of your motor. Obviously if you get a sudden drop in mpg you have something seriously wrong. As already stated we get 30 mpg over 3500 miles of mixed motoring in France, Switzerland and Italy so mountain driving evens out with easy D roads, the only thing we really avoid are French toll roads, we don't drive fast enough to make using them worth while. If your mpg starts to drop away gradually over several tanks of fuel then a regular service and check of injectors should put things right, otherwise we tend to leave things well alone and stick to regular oil & filter changes. Anyway it suits us.

Agreed. I too keep a check as I like to know exactly how many mpg my van does as an engine health monitor and tank full range guide.

BUT I don't worry about it because I can't alter it very much, and, more importantly, I can afford not to!

Knowing is one thing - worrying is a different thing!

Although we have done less than 1000 miles in our new Rapido9048 this is certainly something I am keeping an eye on and will continue to monitor. The van has the Fiat 130PS engine/6 speed box and being the first A-class I have driven I was apprehensive about consumption.The trip computer has been telling me that it is averaging around 27 mpg so far. Filling the tank last week I did the maths for myself and got 28mpg.

I have no experience of the previous Fiats; our last van was a Rapido low profile with the Merc Sprinter 2.2 engine and over 55,000 miles it averaged out at just under 25mpg. I would comment that the Merc engine is pretty lively and encouraged driving to match! By contrast the Fiat seems a bit 'laid back', but then its still new and I am treating it quite gently. Neverthless I am reasonably pleased with the consumption so far......

Colin

I would say most people look at the mpg weather they spend 40 000 0r

1000.We spent 30,ooo . But when we planning along trip I use are average mpg so I know roughly how much fuel will cost .We haven't all got elastic wallets . Going down to south of france using mainly auto routes

we got 28 mpg from our 1.9 pug .

1000.We spent 30,ooo . But when we planning along trip I use are average mpg so I know roughly how much fuel will cost .We haven't all got elastic wallets . Going down to south of france using mainly auto routes

sooty10 - 2008-02-16 10:22 AM

When I speak to sales people they are saying that the new engine is 25% more economical. Can anyone put me in the picture before we part with our cash.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Sooty. (?)

Its no good being 25% more economical if you cannot reverse uphill and have to have to have a new gearbox each time you do !

Oh, where are my pills, I have that depressed feeling again. :'(

Rgds

tamworthkamper - 2008-02-18 11:56 PM

B-) Now if you had spent £15,000 on a Motorhome? That would have been £15,000 to not bother wandering how many miles to the gallon you were getting. :-D :-D :-D

Archived