Folding bikes

Roamer

Hello Roamer

I have no knowledge or, experience of products from A S Bikes, the picture and specification look quite comprehensive but, how on earth they can produce a decent quality folding bicycle for this low cost (£169.95) defeats me. Usually, the frame and components will have been made in China. Any bike, folding or, otherwise at such a very low cost, should cause alarm bells to ring.

Arguably, the finest folding bikes, in the world, are considered to be those made by 'BROMPTON', against which all others are compared, primarily, due to their extremely simple folding method and reliability, also 'DAHON' enjoy an excellent reputation. Expect to pay in excess of £500 for Brompton and, from £270 for Dahon.

Around 1991, I had a 'Moulton' (folder) built which, was subsequently sold 14 years later, with only 20% depreciation!

The absolute oracle publication, for both 'Folding' and 'Electric-Assist' bikes is: 'a to b' Magazine - www.atob.org.uk

other useful sites include: www.cycle-heaven.co.uk - www.simpsoncycles.co.uk - www.biketrax.co.uk - www.foldingbikes.co.uk - www.dorchestercycles.co.uk

As with Motorhomes, it is absolutely essential to 'Road-Test' (on asphalt - not a showground!) any prospective bicycle purchase, after it has been adjusted to your size. It is just possible that the two of you may even discover that different makes/models are more comfortable!

Happy hunting for your perfect 'Folder'.

Hi

We have a couple of folding bikes, they cost us £150 each around 6 years ago, not a lot of money but they are quite good quality, not like a Brompton, but then I didn't want to pay those prices! For the amount of running around we then did they were perfect, just tootling into towns etc form the camps site or having a leisurely ride around the locality. We upgraded to a couple of mountain bikes with full suspension (sooooooo comfortable!) as we tend to do more riding than we did when we bought the folders.

They really do vary enormously form make to make, 20 inch wheels are the best as the others are a bit small other than to nip to the shop etc. Don't get 'mountain bike' style tyres, they are an absolute pain to ride with these on and take a lot more effort, we changed the typres on our mountain bikes for this very reason and they are now much easier to ride.

One other thing to think about is the value of the bikes you buy, check your insurance policy to see what limit it places on their value and also when they are, and more importantly, are NOT insured. I believe someone a few years back had some very nice bikes on the rear of their motorhome, secured with good quality locks which where nicked, and they subsequently found that because they weren't secured to an 'immovable object' they weren't covered.

Try carrying the bikes when folded, see how far you can move them and how high you can lift them to getting in/out/on your motorhome.

Guest Tracker
I agree with Mel, cheap bikes are fine for occasional use as long as the users are not of gargantuan proportions so the makers weight limits for users may be more relevant than ultimate durability?

Hi Roamer

we bought bikes from AS bikes last year they have been brill used on all terrain very comfortable bought my wifes first then mine later alloy frame still feels a little heavier than i expected but suspension works great and gears are as you would expect no complaints not to be used as a mountain bike but good as tourer or collecting the shopping

cheers Lawrence (lol)

I bought a bran new foldup bike 4 years ago ,cant remember the make but it cost £175.Within about 18 months of not much use the steering head was loose,on close inspection & after stripping it down I found the bearing cups well worn & minus many of the ball bearings.Not long after I kept getting lots of slack in the wheel bearings & that had about only half the number of bearings that should have been in them.The pedal on 1 side continueally came loose because both threads where right hand instead of 1 being a left hand thread.Eventually I dumped it down the recycle center.The other 1 is a BSA folding bike which I bought at the same time but was second hand,thats a lovely bike which I have ridden every day taking the dog on his 2 mile gallop & it rides like a dream,not 1 little problem.Motto to that story is dont buy any of these flashy looking imports from abroad they dont appear to have any lasting qualities. *-)

Guest JudgeMental

you really need 20inch wheels for touring. Dahon are good value and well regarded and sold under many names as they are probably one of the most re badged manufacturers. we have 3 from basic "broadwalk" to all singing all dancing model with dual suspension etc... and they are all decent bikes.

Yes the brompton is probably a better bike but it is a "commuter" bike and built for that purpose. I think the Dahon are better value for motorhomers.

Archived