REVERSING CAMERA

booboo

HI could anybody please advise me on reversing cameras as im very new to motorhomes as some will know.when purchasing my motorhome in december i was offered one from the dealer at £450 fitted but with christmas and santas sack needing filled i thought i would just try and get by without one,but i feel i could really benefit from one with a bit added confidence reversing ,any my point is ive seen one in maplin a wireless one for £99.99 but just wondered if anyone new anything about them or any advice would be great are wireless as good as what the dealer would of fitted ?is it a case of you only get what you pay for?any help would be fantastic thanks alot KEITH

Guest Tracker

What make and size van are you buying?

If you have 'see through' vision via a window in the back of the van you may well not need a reversing camera at all?

However even with a rear window if it is quite high, as is the trend these days, you still might not have worthwhile through vision and certainly very little at rear bumper level.

I had a van without a rear window and it was sometimes pure guesswork knowing where the end of the van was when reversing, especially when reversing at an angle or turning round in a confined area - but a set of reversing sensors helped a lot.

My present van (Autotrail) does have a reversing camera but I find that as I can't look at the camera tv screen and both the mirrors simultaneously whilst reversing I have to doubt the camera's true worth as a reversing aid and I certainly would not pay £450 for one!

My camera is mounted above head height looking down and as such has very limited rearwards vision making it theoretically more suitable for avoiding close encounters of the bollard kind rather than as a substitute rear view mirror, although I do use it for this purpose on the road.

I find that due to the wide angle lens the distances from obstructions can be a bit distorted and sometimes what seems close is not and vice versa depending on how far from the centre of the van the obstruction is.

Others may well find their reversing camera essential and I am not knocking them! Maybe with 40 years worth of van driving experience I can simply cope better with reversing?

If you have a rear window in the van you might find that the 'navigating officer' could do a good job as a mobile reversing observer - with full mono sound but no picture!

That said a reversing camera is a lot cheaper and less hassle than a new rear bumper.

Hope that gives a balanced view?

thanks for that everybody , tracker my motorhome is a rollerteam 600 7.24mtr long so renders the window useless really but i was starting o think towards a parking sensor kind of agree with your comments about looking in your mirrors and try to look at a monitor at the same time.CHEERS KEITH.

That's the very reason that I find mine perfect and better than the previous WAECO system. As the monitor is the rear view mirror it is exactly where you expect it to be and as the view is as a rear view mirror, but unimpeaded by the interior length or rear window it is just like reversing your car, plus you can switch views to a close up view looking down if you so desire with a second camera (not necessary in my opinion).

The cost was very reasonable under £75 for the complete system and was an E-bay purchase from a UK seller. I do also have reversing sensors that I fitted first to the van but could never rely on them as I felt I was always waiting for not only the noise of the system but waiting for the crunch when I hit something, it's amazing the difference having vision makes.

If you desire both, i.e. vision and reversing sensors, there are mirror monitor systems available now with reverse sensors built in as part of the system and they start from around £50 now.

I would have no hesitation in recommending a mirror monitor system in preference to any other.

Bas

peteS - 2008-02-17 7:11 PM

Hi Keith I don't know the Maplin one but have just fitted one of these

http://tinyurl.com/2nkxex

So far it has proved a well made product. the screen is a nice size and clear and the camera's have not as yet suffered with condensation.

At this price well worth it.

Pete

Hi Pete

This looks very good value for money.

Did you fit it yourself?

Did you go for the 2 camera system?

Could a numpty DIYer like me fit it or would I have to go to an auto electrician?

Mike

Mike B. - 2008-02-17 4:59 PM

peteS - 2008-02-17 7:11 PM

Hi Keith I don't know the Maplin one but have just fitted one of these

http://tinyurl.com/2nkxex

So far it has proved a well made product. the screen is a nice size and clear and the camera's have not as yet suffered with condensation.

At this price well worth it.

Pete

Hi Pete

This looks very good value for money.

Did you fit it yourself?

Did you go for the 2 camera system?

Could a numpty DIYer like me fit it or would I have to go to an auto electrician?

Mike

Hi Mike yes I did fit myself and yes the 2 camera version.

Could a numpty fit it, I stand by the fith amendment. lol

I say briefly what I did. Because I don't like drilling holes in my van I fixed cams with sikaflex 512. I have done this before with good reults, well they din't fall off anyway.

The connections for the cams are the din type screw in so better than phono IMHO. I took the cables over the roof in plastic cable conduit, this has a sticky base and I also put duck tape over it at various intervals.

The cables come into the van through a roof light and then again into conduit along inside roof to wall, then it is just a matter of routing to where the control box is. In my case this is under and inside the dash. I have a transit base and getting under the dash is a doddle.

The monitor is fitted/screwed in to the roof where the interior mirror would be, cable routed to A pillar then inside A pillar casing and down under dash to meet up with control box. By the way you don't need access to control box once fitted.

It is then just a matter of wiring up to in my case a ignition contolled live and earth. The control box has an extra wire to connect to reversing switch but I have not used it as it is easy to switch from one cam to the other via the monitor.

The one disappointment I have is that the monitor will not come on with ignition, you have to switch on at monitor but I am looking into this.

It is a nice looking monitor and to date has worked well.

I have never seen a Waeco or Camos system working but I'll bet they are not much better and at twice the cost.

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for that-unfortunately sounds a bit beyond me-I'd probably blow the van up. However, I have asked a local auto electrician and he says he'll fit it for £100 so even at that it would appear value for money. Although I don't particularly want to spend another £100 it is cheaper than the excess on the insurance when the van catches fire! I think I'll let the expert fit it

Once again, thanks for the information

Regards

Mike

Mike,

You may be (or not) interested to know that that is where mine came from and is the one shown on the Home page with the clip on mirror monitor but with the CCD camera, easy to fit even a 'numpty' (lol) can do it. Good company to buy from.

Bas

Mike,

I would encourage you to go ahead with fitting the camera. It's purely my personal opinion based on the first 6 months I have had my van.

After 37 years of driving a vast range of vehicles including HGV's and many variations of tractor/trailer combinations I am very confident in reversing just about anything using mirrors and eyeballs. However, in the peculiar environment of campsites where children on bikes in particular can rapidly materialise in the very large cone of obscurity which extends beyond the window-less rear of my Knaus, I would not be without a reversing camera and conveniently-located colour display. Even adults on sites appear to have little appreciation of the restricted visibilty of many motorhomes and whilst presumably in relaxed, non-thinking holiday mode, wander behind reversing vehicles with little regard that the driver may not see them.

Some HGV's now sport signs warning people behind "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". I can stand twelve metres behind my motorhome and not see the mirrors at all.

Bob

Only to add that I have had cameras on all my M/homes.

Next time round, I would definitely go for a 2 camera setup,

A number of times, I have been cut up by people who drive close behind hidden from mirror view, just to overtake you as I try to overtake something. And / or are tavelling fast in the inside lane and swing out to over take at then last moment not thinking that the vehicle in front may be starting to over take.

( I know, mirror, indicate, mirror, move before some one says / writes it :-)

Its just peace of mind that I have covered all the options !

Rgds

Basil - 2008-02-18 9:36 PM

Mike,

You may be (or not) interested to know that that is where mine came from and is the one shown on the Home page with the clip on mirror monitor but with the CCD camera, easy to fit even a 'numpty' (lol) can do it. Good company to buy from.

Bas

Ok Basil-I'm gonna take your word for it. If anybody hears of a Marlin blowing up in next few weeks please give Safeguard Basils name and address and tell them he said it was easy!!

Regards

Mike

Archived