fan heater/cooler

booboo

hi im back posting what probarly seems really simple qustions but please forgive my ignorance just now with this motorhomeing lark thank god i found this forum its brilliant ! anyway my question is im looking to buy a heater/cooler combined and just wanted to know the safe maximum wattage to go for, dont want to trip the power on sites and annoy all you good people :-D once again thanks alot KEITH

I use a compact 2kW upright fan-heater that I bought from Argus years ago for about £15. It has a good size propellor-type fan (so it's quite quiet), 2 heat settings (2kW or 1kW), thermostat, 'frost protection', cold blow capability, and an oscillating-mode option.

3kW output will require a mains power-supply around 12A, 2kW around 8A and 1kW around 4A. I've yet to come across a campsite power-supply that can't handle my heater's 1kW setting and most seem capable of dealing with 2kW. You can obtain dinky little 500W fan-heaters from caravan accessory shops if you are really paranoid, but, as long as you've got a heater with multiple output settings that go down to 1kW, you should be OK. Of course, should you decide to switch on your 1kw heater when you are simultaneously running your 2kW kettle, that's another matter.

It all depends on what sort of sites you are going to use. If you are thinking of needing a cooling capability, perhaps you are considering venturing south. If you are considering sites on the continent, then some only have a 2 amp supply, which would limit you to a 500 watt unit - or one with the capability of selecting a 500 watts output.

Keith

Are you talking about a fan that has actual cooling capacity, or just a fan that has the ability to run without heating?  If the former, remember to check the power consumption when cooling, as well as that when heating.

Most UK club sites that have electric hook ups provide 16 Amp supplies, so your total take can be up to around the 3.6 kW range - though if everyone hooked up tried to take that much it would overwhelm the site distribution system.

Most European camp site supplies run between 5 and 10 Amps. 

However, remember your fridge takes a bit, as does your battery charger.  Then there are lights, kettle, possible a telly, maybe a computer, so you'll have a bit of working out to do to arrive at what size heater you can safely afford to count on.

Archived