Rapido 7097F Towbar

Tuggy52

If you let the forum know what part the country you are based in. I am sure someone will come back with a recommendation for a supplier / fitter.

A yard stick is that I have a Rapido 709F (the shortest Rapido) and was quoted about £550 to have a towbar made up. ( Sussex area).

A few forum members wept into their beer saying that I should have been quoted half that price. But I have feeling they came from up norf, where blacksmiths do a good job at a decent price. ;-)

RGds

You are probably already aware that motorhomes are unique in that tow bars do not have to be EU approved, as they have to be with cars, vans, etc.

However, if you already have a long rear overhang, it does depend what you want to do with the tow bar. and certain things will almost certainly take the rear axle weight over the limit - things such as scooter racks (with one or more scooters), invalid carriage racks with carriage. Remember that the tow bar itself already adds some 100Kgs of weight, so even towing with a nose weight of 60 Kgs is, with the tow bar, adding some 250 Kgs to the rear axle because of the leverage of the weight so far back.

So my suggestion id that you check these things out before spending £500+ on a tow bar. I hope it works out OK and I'm just being pessimistic, but it's better to be wise before the event.

Mel E

====

Guest Le Thou

Hi Tuggy

Which part of the country do you hail from??

There is a guy near to Hymer UK at Preston who made and fitted one to my Autotrail for £350.

tonyishuk - 2008-02-19 4:56 PM

If you let the forum know what part the country you are based in. I am sure someone will come back with a recommendation for a supplier / fitter.

A yard stick is that I have a Rapido 709F (the shortest Rapido) and was quoted about £550 to have a towbar made up. ( Sussex area).

A few forum members wept into their beer saying that I should have been quoted half that price. But I have feeling they came from up norf, where blacksmiths do a good job at a decent price. ;-)

RGds

Seems a bit pricey.

RGds

Tony...I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But you were well turned over with that bar. As your van has very little overhang, you can fit the standard Ducato towbar. As I have done. As I have a 710f I had to get an 200mm extension made up for £20. Total cost including electrics pack £100.00

Tuggy52 - 2008-02-18 4:42 PM

Has anyone with a Rapido 7097F had a Towbar fitted. I am having trouble getting this done because of the long overhang (1200mm) from the end of the chassis to the back of the van, any advice would be great

Chris

I'm sure that Towsure do a bar for the Alko chassis. Here's the link. http://www.towsure.com/product/14135-Motorhome_Towbar-_Alko_Chassis

peter - 2008-02-19 9:29 PM

Tony...I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But you were well turned over with that bar. As your van has very little overhang, you can fit the standard Ducato towbar. As I have done. As I have a 710f I had to get an 200mm extension made up for £20. Total cost including electrics pack £100.00

MANY THANKS for the information.

I did not take up the offer after being advised by fellow forum members I was about to be ripped orf. ( Bless'm).

I think you have saved me enough for the new battery, cambelt and MOT (Another thread about cold weather and dodgy batteries )

Rgds

Guest Le Thou

RGds

What you also forgeet te menshion lad wuz that up north we all still wear cloth caps and av whippets, so when thee ar avin towbar fitted tha can walk thee dogs at same time thanose.

Hi Chris,

I hail from St. Clears originally and for my sins I've lived in England for 18 years. Those rugby results are great when they happen!!!!

Try CLH Trailers in St Clears Tel 01994 230055 and ask for Chris ( the boss)and I'm sure he'll be able to help you.

He's one of those guys who likes to talk cash if you know what I mean.

Tell him that Adrian Morse put you in touch ( my brawd works there)

:-D

Archived