x250

mark lambert

oops! pressed the wrong button

I received a letter today from burstner telling me that i have a problem with my suspension, quote: we (burstner) have found out that under certain circumstances a contact between the rear wheels and the wheel house of your motorhome can occur. un-quote. apparently i have to have all the rear suspension up-graded, atleast a full days work. just thought i'd mention it.

icdsun - 2008-02-19 10:19 PM

Mark

Does the letter say it is just the 695 that is affected? please

Chris

No, it just says my vehicle, but i would suspect other models are affected. The dealer did say that they (chelston) had over 20 customers that were affected, they were ordering the parts that were needed as and when we (the customer) got in touch so they knew what parts to order for the diferent vans affected. He also said that it may not be able to be done before Easter, but that might be my dealer having a lot of vans to sort out, although he did say it was because of the delay in burstner sending out the parts. It would take atleast a day as all the suspension had to come off, leaf springs included. watch this space.

Well, lets just hope they have adequately qualified mechanics to do the work! 

Has anyone confirmed what the chassis warranty position may be?  Just the pessimist in me, I suppose, but re-aligning the rear axle - which is what this work sounds like - would take the axle outside Fiat's (or is it Alko's) designated alignment parameters. 

Should you, I wonder, seek confirmation that this mod has Fiat's (or Alko's) blessing before it is carried out.  I'm sure it will have, but you never know, and it is surely safer to ask.

Hi Mark...this is an interesting one, although I seem to think may have the 'heavy' chassis? Our Marano 595 on the light chassis ansd smaller wheels gave me probelms with the overhang grating on my driveway approach, and I have had AS Air suspension fiteed, whcih not enabled me to raise the rear height when approaching the driveway, but also asssist with ferries etc. I tend to keep it slightly inflated for normal driving, and find the van is more stable gerenally with this.

Shall be intereested to hear the outcome, and learn if this is a general recall by Burstner or just specific vehicles.

hiya keith

I have just received a reply from my dealer concerning the questions Brian thought i should ask. It said that the allighnment wouldn't be affected and that all the work would be carried out by a fully qualified mechanic, and all the work would carry the relevant warranty cover. I now have that in writing, better to be safe than sorry, what do you reckon Brian!!!

concerning air suspension, i am going to have it fitted too, a few extra inches will make all the diference! I was going to have it fitted by mr Newell last year, amongst a few other thing, but our house sale fell through a week before signing day, totally gutted. it has fallen through twice since, so, hopefully it will go through this time and i can book it in for the work, housing market, ouch!!

sorry peeps, for going off topic

take care all

hiya keith

I have just received a reply from my dealer concerning the questions Brian thought i should ask. It said that the allighnment wouldn't be affected and that all the work would be carried out by a fully qualified mechanic, and all the work would carry the relevant warranty cover. I now have that in writing, better to be safe than sorry, what do you reckon Brian!!!

concerning air suspension, i am going to have it fitted too, a few extra inches will make all the diference! I was going to have it fitted by mr Newell last year, amongst a few other thing, but our house sale fell through a week before signing day, totally gutted. it has fallen through twice since, so, hopefully it will go through this time and i can book it in for the work, housing market, ouch!!

sorry peeps, for going off topic

take care all

mark lambert - 2008-02-21 6:22 PM

concerning air suspension, i am going to have it fitted too, a few extra inches will make all the diference! I was going to have it fitted by mr Newell last year, take care all

Hi Mark - yes it does help I find, and I think your overhang may be even greater than mine.......I used a company called AS Air Suspensions in Warrington, and whilst we had a few teething problems they were all sorted. The system I had fitted allows in-cab inflation/deflation plus pressure gauge , although with the new Fiat cab it isn't easy deciding where to fit the controls, and to be fair, I can't quite do it when driving along....although can just about reach from the cab seat when stationery!

It's also in theory useful to level up when on site, but I find the van tends to ride naturally up at the rear, so used levellers under the front wheelw most of the time so far.

AS Air Suspension did advertise in MMM for a short while, but I think got too much potential work...! If you want his details, let me know and I'll send you a private e-mail.

Hope you are enjoying the new Burstner still.

mark lambert - 2008-02-21 6:22 PM hiya keith I have just received a reply from my dealer concerning the questions Brian thought i should ask. It said that the allighnment wouldn't be affected and that all the work would be carried out by a fully qualified mechanic, and all the work would carry the relevant warranty cover. I now have that in writing, better to be safe than sorry, what do you reckon Brian!!! ...........

Good stuff, and very reassuring.  I didn't know it was Chelston, or that they were a Fiat authorised workshop.  What could be better?

Archived