Breakdown insurance

dobscott

I am currently considering breakdown insurance and have been looking at the products offered by the two major clubs. There appears to be a fairly wide range of both options and prices. I would be grateful for the experience and advise that anyone can offer before parting with more cash. Thanks in anticipation

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

We've used Green Flag with the CC for a number of years and on the couple of occasions that we've needed them, their service has been excellent.

We opt for comprehensive, home call and personal cover. This allows both the better half and I full breakdown cover driving any vehicle (with the owners consent) and the MH. 

Was with AA for years but after they made a few serious cock-ups I switched to Caravan Club "MAYDAY" they use Green-Flag. I have used them a few times over the years, no complaints what so ever, the last time was when the automatic gear box broke down on my last 'van. A breakdown truck from "Red Dragon Rescue Cardiff" carried me home. Green Flag do not own a fleet of break-down vehicles like AA & RAC, they contract big reliable breakdown companies to do the work which is why they are a little bit cheaper. My best pals son is an RAC breakdown man, he does not get called out after midnight, but then who would want a breakdown service after midnight anyway?

Hi,

I insure my camper with Safe Guard the comprehensive cover, includes breakdown cover from when I leave the IOM to when I return including full european breakdown cover. The policy also does not limmit how long you can stay away on your travels, its the only one I found that includes a 365 day green card. I found the cost very competitive as well.

had greenflag never found them to mend a vehicle at side of road ,always turn up with low loader and off  to garage even for a flat battery .

rac fixed a clutch cable and leaking diesel pipes also a broken clutch lever all at side of road first class service.

Guest Tracker
dshague - 2008-02-21 8:06 PM

you are right with that post .. tracker

Thanks for that - that's the first time I've been right all year!

Guest Tracker
dshague - 2008-02-21 8:23 PM

its not the first time .you are right most times. you believe that don't you .i always do. when i post lol

I am far to modest and polite to believe that I am always right and far too experienced at being wrong to worry about it any more!

Hi dshaque, Like you say Greenflag take you back to their garage rather than repair by the road side for most jobs that are not minor. I assume that is for ease of working, all tools etc at hand and under cover. Our local Green Flag use a big local road rescue company with a garage the size of the Melenium Stadium, they do buses, big commercial trucks, as well as cars and vans. In Cardiff area it is "Red Dragon Rescue" So if you have a Red Dragon that needs rescueing you know who to call! A lot of these big road rescue companies that Green Flag use are contracted by Police and councils to clear motorway crashes and the like so have a plentiful fleet of vehicles for the job.

Hi dshaque, Like you say Greenflag take you back to their garage rather than repair by the road side for most jobs that are not minor. I assume that is for ease of working, all tools etc at hand and under cover. Our local Green Flag use a big local road rescue company with a garage the size of the Melenium Stadium, they do buses, big commercial trucks, as well as cars and vans. In Cardiff area it is "Red Dragon Rescue" So if you have a Red Dragon that needs rescueing you know who to call! A lot of these big road rescue companies that Green Flag use are contracted by Police and councils to clear motorway crashes and the like so have a plentiful fleet of vehicles for the job.

Tracker - 2008-02-21 7:56 PM

Hope you have it in writing that Green Flag will recover a vehicle the size of yours?

Providing it is through CC Mayday they will as they state in their literature (Green Flags that is) that they will recover any size any weight. Also I have had to use them on one occasion and they were very good, arrived in under half hour and we were on our way a quarter hour later.

Very reasonable cost too, least way I consider under £90 good value to cover four cars, one 4x4, two motorcycles, the motorhome and personal cover for me and my wife in any vehicle we are in (known as personal cover) to be good value.

In my opinion, a good choice dobscot.

Bas

euro breakdown with C&CC (rac), 1 year, £200..........got £30 off it by just phoning up at renewal and saying it was too expensive.

Covers any car/camper, europe, and home breakdown.......basically the top package, and as it covers my work van, its on the business :-D

Archived