help! campervan or commercial?

ciron

Hello all, I am new to the world of motorhomes and would appreciate any advice on my problem. I am relocating 250 miles away from where i work, and will be working in london for 8 nights per month. Rather than keep putting on friends and family, i would like to buy an old campervan, (budget up to £2000). This budget obviously leaves me with a choice of older vans, and have heard many horror stories. All i want is it to have a bed for my sleeping bag, and some form of night time heating, i don`t need cooker, fridge etc, and it will not cover many miles, less than 1000 per year.

Do i go for something like a rascal/hi-ace or should i consider a commercial van such as an astra or vw transporter, and get it converted to what i need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot Ciron.

Guest Tracker

You may also need a loo in the night?

The ability to have a cup of tea or coffee and a slice of toast maybe for breakfast might also be appreciated, as will the ability to wash and shave maybe?

So maybe a cooker, gas bottle, sink, water tanks, water pump, toilet are not such a bad idea after all?

Bare vans are very cold when the outside temperature drops and the cost of a part conversion might well be prohibitive as well as non recoverable because who else would want to buy a van like that?

An old motor caravan in good order will very likely still be worth what you paid for it (or maybe even more?) in a year or two as long as you take care of it.

The smaller the van the more discreet it is to park up quietly overnight.

An early Romahome on Citroen Visa van base comes to mind as being reasonable to drive and reasonable to live in short term for one, but I guess any compact camper van will do and suggest you get the best condition one you can find with the longest MOT.

Remember that a chemical loo has to be emptied in an appropriate dumping point (or down a conventional loo) and you will need a waste water tank to hold your used washing water - assuming you can manage without a shower - as letting it out where you are parked is not very pleasant for the neighbours?

Unless you have a place in mind parking in London can be expensive, noisy and (as in any town) unsafe at night.

Tracker - 2008-02-21 1:00 PM

An old motor caravan in good order will very likely still be worth what you paid for it (or maybe even more?) in a year or two as long as you take care of it.

An early Romahome on Citroen Visa van base comes to mind as being reasonable to drive and reasonable to live in short term for one, but I guess any compact camper van will do and suggest you get the best condition one you can find with the longest MOT.

Unless you have a place in mind parking in London can be expensive, noisy and (as in any town) unsafe at night.

Whilst I would agree with most of Trackers comments, the time period that you are doing this for may have a bearing on your London excursions as 'Any old van' that does not meet the LEZ requirements will be costly from 2010 to the tune of £200 per day!

Don't know if the Romahome on the Citroen Visa van is available with a compliant engine, certainly will be if it is petrol powered.

Bas

livewire - 2008-02-21 2:07 PM

Emmissions zone only applies to vehicles over 2.5T so a Romahome or small van conversion should be fine.

Not strictly correct, it's motorhomes over 2.5 tonnes but vehicles over 1.205 unladen and 3.5 tonnes gross so depending on whether it is registered as a motorhome or as a van may make a difference. Unless of course the Citroen is under 1.205 unladen with the conversion in place, don't know the answer to that but worth checking the registration on the TfL site before buying I believe.

Bas

Thanks for your replies guys, I will be parked at a location where i will have access to toilets, shower and kitchen,that`s why I just need the bare essentials. I guess at my price I`m looking to buy privately, but does anyone know of any dealers that may have something in my pricerange?

Does anyone have experience of taking a rac or aa mechanic along when buying, I believe they charge around £150 for a thorough exam.

Guest Tracker

My experience of dealers selling cheaper vans is that they often are overpriced and often leave a lot to be desired condition wise and in any case you will be lucky to find any decent dealer retailing a van that old!

That said if you live near a motor caravan, or maybe even a caravan, dealer a phone call to ask about any clearance vans they might have kicking around can only cost you the cost of a call!

I would be happy to buy privately at that value and unless you are a complete mechanical novice let the owner show it all works and use your judgement about whether the person selling is genuine or not.

That said, if you have a mechanically minded friend two heads are always better than one!

If the seller knows how it all works it will probably be because he has used the van and is not just selling it on to make a bob or two after covering up the nasty bits.

If the seller is clean and smart(ish)and their home is in a reasonable condition the van probably will be too. If not walk away as there are plenty out there.

By the way, be suspicious of any VW van at that price as for some unknown reason good 'uns are sought after and that means expensive.

Archived