Power inverter and microwave oven.

cookie

Forget the 12 volt microwave.

Get a small low(ish) power domestic microwave and then get an inverter at least 50% bigger than the input power requirement of the microwave.

Keep the DC leads short and fat. make the AC leads as long as you like.

C.

But remember, for every 1 Amp the microwave consumes at 230 volts, it will require approx 20 Amps at 12 volts via an inverter.  Thus, a 1 kW mains microwave, that would draw about 4 Amps at 230V, will require 80 Amps (plus, I believe, a surge on starting) from your batteries when fed via an inverter!  If you intend using the microwave much, you'll need some serious battery power!

And either be on the move frequently, have a generator or a fuel cell & solar panels to replace the energy used.

Just ask yourself this question, If you want a microwave oven it suggests you are in a hurry. Why? Are you not in a motorhome relaxing on a break?

C.

Not a lot of help I know but we run a small 240v microwave from an inverter, cannot remember the size of the inverter just now, we have experienced no problems so far with our batteries (one full years use) but in reality any microwave does not tend to be used for very long periods ie three/four/five minutes at a time.

We have two 110amp batteries. As mentioned keep the 12v cables fat and short

Thanks to you all for the help. The microwave is for my Horlicks before bed!!! something to do with the ageing process. We have not got down to relaxing with the motorhome yet, it spends its' time going from home in North Yorks to home in the Charente Maritime. complete with 2 German Shepherds and a husband.

Guest Tracker
davenewell@home - 2008-02-23 6:30 PM

"The microwave is for my Horlicks before bed!!!"

PARDON?????

Do you not own a kettle?????

D.

And there was me thinking that only Governments made proper Horlicks these days?

davenewell@home - 2008-02-23 6:30 PM "The microwave is for my Horlicks before bed!!!" PARDON????? Do you not own a kettle????? D.

Or even a saucepan!!!!!!!!  That's going to be some of the most expensive Horlicks ever by the time you've bought and installed its individualised microwave!  Try champagne instead, it's far nicer, makes you giggle, and will be far cheaper, even in the long run.  :-)

Archived