NEC: I won tooooooooo!!!

Mel B

For real this time ... not a cruise ... we've won 2 tickets for the NEC show courtesy of the Touring and Tenting forum! Whey-hey, watch out Davey boy here we come!!!:-D

Okay, so we were going anyway ... to have a drool over the new motorhomes, stocking up on all the 'must have' accessories and of course, visiting Davey-boy on the Roadpro stand (make some extra butties for us chuck!).:D

We're also having a look for a new canoe paddle. As our dogs don't want to go out in our big one anymore since we had the 'Ardeche' dunking experience, we've just got hold of a couple of single ones instead locally as we couldn't bear the thought of not going on the water at all just for a little trip while the dogs have a snooze. So we're taking the big canoe for a trip to the NEC to see if we can sell it there, if not then it'll get put on the 'buy and sell' bit on here probably! We've already got one paddle so hopefully we'll find another one there at a reasonable price.

We'll be there on Saturday and may also go in on Sunday if we need to, can't decide yet - has anyone been??? What's it like??? Any better than last year?

Behave yourselves whilst I'm away over the weekend won't you (that include you two, Judge and Le Thou!). ;-)

We also won some tickets to the show on this web site from which motorcaravan comp. We thought it was a good show was there on Wednesday lots to see not too crowded. don't forget to pick up your goody bag free bottle of milk : Coffee : washing up liq : cerial bar and books .but cannot remember if it was in the tenting hall or the boating hall also get a supermarket trolly token key ring from the Safeguard stand comes in handy if you do not have a £1 coin for the trolly. Have a good day we enjoyed it thought it was better than the October Show,O I nearly forgot have a go on the Archery Stand its fun ..http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Mel B:

Pleasantly civilised in the motorhome halls when we were there on Wednesday for a few hours, with lots of under-employed salespersons standing around looking hopeful.

Almost bought a Concorde Cruiser A-930 FB, but found it difficult to choose between the Mercedes Atego or MAN 8224 chassis. Finally decided not to bother as my wife had taken a violent dislike to the Concorde's gold-plated toilet-roll holder, remarking that she expected a solid gold version given the vehicle's elevated asking-price.

Girls on Fiat stand were handing our loops of tape to passers-by, though I wasn't sure what they were for (the loops, not the girls!) My wife thought they might be to hang your mobile-phone from, but, as they are quite strong with a sturdy clip on one end, they could come in handy if your new Fiat-based shuddery-in-reverse motorhome sends you into severe depression. All you'd need is a suitable-height tree branch and a Fiat 'lanyard'....

For me, the main interest lay in the more compact vehicles. It's easy enough to design a large motorhome - and there were plenty of over-7m-long 'light chassis' models with unnervingly massive rear overhangs - but far harder to devise a small one that provides 'big living' facilities. The Pilote Group's "City Van" offered a short (5.68m or 6.0m), narrow (2.05m), lowish (2.75m) A-Class with various internal lay-out options and a not too stratospheric price. Orion was showing a panel-van conversion with a crossways pull-down roof-bed and my wife was quite taken by the latest Trigano Tribute. I noted that the Globecar "Trendscout" displayed on the LasyDays stand at £30K OTR was made by Possl - a manufacturer with a good reputation abroad for panel-van conversions - and wondered how cheaply it could be bought overseas in LHD.

There seemed to be a reasonable amount of seating-for-snacking this year, with the CC Lounge and Rummikub Challenge Café in Hall 4 and the Alpro Café (free soya-based products) in Hall 3, while Lowdham Leisureworld were keen to lob out (non-alcoholic) drinks.

Very little French 'tourism' presence (unless it was outside Halls 3 and 4 and we missed it), which may mean that they know UK people are going to go to France anyway so there's no need to encourage them, or that previous shows have proved unproductive.

(Also no give-away magazines on the Warners/MMM stand except for "Which Caravan".)

Went today, on the MH side only looked at panel vans, well had a look in 'dutchman' as well, slideouts with sofa's etc just hope any perspective buyer travels in passenger seat for a few miles that might make them look elseware!

The mobile home section seems a bit bigger this year and boat section also, when we got to tent hall it was quite empty, the rest was heaving I believe the CC promotion was today.

We had a very detailed look at some rear lounge models, but none suited our requirements like the Twin.

Was suprized at Swift/Autocruise panel van, seemed realy well put together, but let down by little storage near cooking area.

Timberland Endevour caught my eye, but also my head when I stepped in rear door, stupid design fault, also looked a bit unfinished around the edges.

IH looked thier usual good quality(except the lightweight piano hinges) but £50,000+!

Bravia rival to Twin looked a bit shoddy and only seem to offer 100hp.

Went Thursday. A bit disappointing perhaps getting blase with time. Not very busy, good discounts on AutoTrail stand, awful yellow carpets everywhere, very slow getting in due to poor ticket purchasing arrangements. Went to get Gaslow products but no discounts on stand. Fiamma as good as ever. Launch of Autotrail Delaware but it seemed poorly designed, small lounge and kitchen and no head room in bathroom or bedroom. Be interested to see what the tame reviewers make of it. Enjoyed the narrow boats and holiday homes sections better than the motorhomes.

For God's sake you lot, get and make Dave N do a bit of work.

You speak as though you're on a freebie trip, to enjoy yourselves.

Well you're not, let me me remind you.

You are the Care-In-The-Community Social Worker monitors for our Dave.

You know he doesn't get out much.

And that he's easily distracted by the sight of a pert ladies (and/or possibly gents) bottom, or a pint of Old Speckled Hen. (Who isn't?)

Your job at the NEC is to keep Joe Public at a decent distance from the Roadpro stand so that Dave can munch his sandwiches, and perv on the ladies, without causing undue distress to those outside of the secure wing of the MMM Towers Home for the Dazed and Confused.

Form the wagons into a circle and protect your fellow inmate!

Archived