GAS problem

Kate1881

Guest Tracker

What van is it Kate, and what year?

First things first though - have you checked that the gas tap (and all the other taps) situated probably below and near to the cooker, and/or in one of the lockers somewhere, are open?

Does the fridge and/or heating work on gas or is everything off?

What set up do you have?

It a bulkhead mounted or fitted to gas bottle type regulator, is it a single or twin bottle set up and if twin how are they interconnected - if they are?

It might be easier if you tell us what motorhome you have. One possible answer to your problem is that the individual appliance shut off valves are turned off. Another possible problem is the regulator may have a button that needs pushing in but in all honesty if you expect a useful answer you need to furnish us with as much information as possible.

D.

Based on Kate1881's previous postings, the motorhome in question is a Swift Suntor model bought new in July 2006.

From what I recall, the Suntor's standard gas-system specification would have included a basic bulkhead-mounted Truma/GOK regulator of the type there has been widespread problems with historically. This regulator is normally equipped with a test-point and shut-off 'switch' and, if this switch is moved to the closed position, it will prevent gas passing through the regulator. Obviously the position of the switch needs checking, but the symptoms (no gas reaching any of the appliances) strongly suggest that the regulator has failed. To confirm this with certainty, it's probably simplest to 'break' the joint where the regulator's outlet attaches to the motorhome's metal gas-piping and then turn on the gas at the bottle. If no gas can be heard emerging from the regulator's outlet then the regulator will have packed up and will require replacement.

I suspect that Kate1881's situation is a) all the gas appliances in the motorhome were functioning OK the last time the vehicle was used, b) nothing has been done to the gas system since then (ie. no gas-valves within the motorhome have been switched off) except, perhaps, for replacement of the gas-bottles and c) now, all of a sudden, no gas appliances work. This is exactly what happened (twice!) with my own motorhome and the real give-away that the regulator had died was that no gas was coming out of the hob-burners. While heaters/boilers/fridges can be reluctant to light on gas after a leisure vehicle has been out of use for a while until air in the gas pipework has been expelled, the hob demands lots of gas instantly and, if there's no gas reaching the burners, it's immediately very obvious that something is amiss.

I believe Truma continues to offer free replacement of failed GOK 'fixed' regulators, but I think the exchange now needs to be done via the dealership that sold the leisure vehicle (or perhaps via a dealership with an agency for the particular make of leisure vehicle) rather than being a no-questions-asked over-the-counter swap at any motorhome/caravan dealership selling Truma products.

(There is the remote possibility, I suppose, that Kate1881 is using butane and the weather when the 'no gas' problem was discovered was so cold that the gas would not vaporise, but that would really be a long shot.)

Thankyou so much Derek, All that you have said is correct.

Sorry I'm not very good at this forum lark yet.

I have checked all the valves and they are still in the open position, we last used the motorhome in early December We did notice that the gas pressure seemed low on the cooker so thinking we needed to swap the bottles We did and this made no difference what so ever.

The weather was mild here when I went to check everything last weekend,preparing for our first trip out this year.

So now I will concentrate on the regulator.!

Strangely My friend who has a Swift Bessacar ( identical to ours) bought the same year has just told me she is having the same problem.

So we shall be booking in at the dealership together.

My grateful thanks

Kate

:-D

Kate1881:

Calor now recommend (and this has Truma's full backing) that the gas regulator be installed in a leisure-vehicle's gas locker in a particular manner.

The regulator should be positioned vertically with its inlet uppermost and the flexible gas hose should be as short as practical and lead downwards (across its whole length) to the gas-bottle's outlet valve. This reduces the chances of liquid gas reaching the regulator, either coming out of the gas-bottle or draining back from the vehicle's metal gas pipework.

There can be difficulties achieving Calor's recommended layout unless the gas locker is tall and/or small capacity gas bottles are employed. As a result Truma offers a 90º 'elbow' (Part No. 50020-56000), one end of which screws on to the regulator's inlet and the other attaches to the flexible gas hose. This permits the gas regulator's inlet to be positioned close to the roof of the gas locker and maximises the opportunity for the flexible gas hose to be positioned so that it continuously leads downwards from regulator-inlet to gas-bottle outlet.

Motorhome/caravan dealerships should be well aware of the above, including the availability of the 90º elbow. However, I don't know whether a diagnosis of a failed Truma/GOK bulkhead-mounted regulator automatically causes the repairing dealership to modify the installation (where necessary) to conform to Calor's recommendations. I believe the business arrangement was that Truma - who never admitted that their regulators were at fault - agreed to provide UK leisure-vehicle manufacturers with free regulators to replace failed ones as long as the leisure-vehicle manufacturers themselves agreed to continue to fit Truma regulators to their new vehicles. As your Swift is presumably still under warranty, I wouldn't anticipate any arguments over payment for rectifying the present fault. Nevertheless, it might be prudent to confirm with your dealership what they plan to do and who will be paying.

Archived