Calor lite gas cylinders

Mel B

Whilst we were at the NEC we had a chat with the blokes on the Calor stand about the new lite 6kg propane cylinder. They said that so long as you took back a Calor cylinder you could exchange it for a 'lite' version and just pay for the refil, not the cylinder itself and quoted £18 as the price of a refil, but looking on the Calor site the cost of a 6kg refil is only £15.50 so either they are charging more or he got his price wrong.

It looks like they might follow with the 13kg propane ones at some point as so many 'vans are now able to fit these but at the moment Calor only make it in the smaller size. If you want to buy just a cyclinder (ie if you haven't got one already to 'exchange'), it will cost £29.99 plus the refil. Best bet then is to get your hands on a standard Calor cylinder out of the free-ads etc and swap that!

More info at:

http://www.calor.co.uk/home/index.htm

Scroll down and click on Caravanning ...

Mel B:

There are further Calor-Lite comments on the Hints & Tips forum within the following thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9353&posts=13

I believe the £15.50 figure you quoted is the exchange-price for Calor's traditional orange-painted 'heavyweight' 6kg propane cylinder. I can't find Calor-Lite prices on Calor's website (though I admit I haven't looked too hard!) but the £18 exchange-price the Calor rep at the NEC gave you seems to be correct. (I'm sure he told me there would be a £1 premium over the standard 6kg bottle, but this is firmly contradicted by the following link.)

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/news/index.html

If I were an unprincipled beggar I would be noting that the Calor-Lite cylinder uses an ordinary UK POL-type outlet and has a useful, reliable mechanical level-gauge. A couple of free/cheap Calor bottles from your friendly recycling centre to exchange for a pair of Calor-Lite containers, plus the appropriate 'grey market' Autogas adapter, and you'd have 12kg of propane to start with and a tolerably-safe, reasonably-usable, 2-bottle refillable system when that gas runs out - all for under £70. Of course, as I am a highly principled person and morally incapable of doing anything illegal, I would never, for a moment, contemplate doing such a thing myself.

Guest Tracker

Like very many others, I am no expert on these matters so I would be far happier sticking to exchange bottles than to even remotely risking overfilling a non refillable gas bottle - unless of course the Calor Light has an 80% fill cut off device?

It would be most unlike Derek to give unsound advice and I have great respect and trust for his research and knowledge, however I do tend to think maybe this one needs some clarification please about what a 'tolerably safe' gas system entails?

"Tolerably safe" is a personal subjective view, as is "reasonably-usable".

Being an exchange-only gas container Calor-Lite does not need, and does not have, any automatic valve to terminate the refilling process at a particular capacity-percentage. And, of course, to self-fill an exchange-only bottle (whether Calor supplied or otherwise) would invariably be contrary to the supplier's terms and conditions.

Guest Tracker
fred grant - 2008-02-25 9:24 PM

so how do they get gas into a non-refillable bottle then tracker me ansum??

finickyfred

Getting gas in ain't the problem Fred.

The problem is in getting too much gas in the bottle and causing liquid gas to enter the system.

Archived