London campsite info required

kevandali

Hi All

I am hoping to take the wife down to London to watch a show (Billy Elliot actually) just in case you were curious?

Well anyway, I thought about taking the camper and booking onto a campsite as close to London as possible and then use the tube/bus to commute into London and make a weekend of it.

Does anyone know of a suitable site with easy access to the centre?

As always, any help much appreciated.

Kevandali

We stayed at the CC site at Abbey Wood last month and were very happy with it.

Usual CC site standards and easy to get to (follow CC directions rather than sat nav to avoid narrow roads). No vehicle access to site overnight but pedestrian gate has keypad to let you back in.

Abbey Wood Network Rail station is about half a mile away - £4.30 return to Charing Cross or Cannon Street or £5.90 cheap day ticket including underground. Trains ran to time and were clean (apart from Metro papers left lying around by passengers). Journey to/from London takes about half an hour.

We will definitely use the site again on annual visits to London.

Graham

Hi kevandali

We are going to London in April to see the Tutenkhamun exhibition at O2 and also to see Phantom of the Opera one day.

Have booked into the Caravan Club Abbey Wood site which has a rail service just a few minutes away. I am told by a friend who stayed there recently that the London Transport Oyster card (£10 I think) is great value giving access to trains, underground and buses.

We have never stayed there before but used Crystal Palace a few times which is another great site right on the edge of Crystal Palace Park. From there it is a bus ride into town or change at Brixton to get the tube.

Finally, if you are a CC member, there is a CL site we considered at Ilford - Aldborough Hall Farm, whiach also has good public transport access including the underground.

One other thing, if you are thinking of travelling roughly anywhere within the M25 remember that Ken's new Emission Zone is now in force and, unless your vehicle complies with the current requirements for emissions it will cost you an additional £100 a day to travel within the zone - £200 fine if you enter without paying the charge!!

Have a great trip, regards, david

david lloyd - 2008-02-26 9:00 AM

One other thing, if you are thinking of travelling roughly anywhere within the M25 remember that Ken's new Emission Zone is now in force and, unless your vehicle complies with the current requirements for emissions it will cost you an additional £100 a day to travel within the zone - £200 fine if you enter without paying the charge!!

Thanks for the information, the site looks good, I forgot about Emmission Zone, anyone have any idea how I can find out if the van complies with the current requirements. The van itself is less than 2 years old if that has any bearing?

What do other members do if visiting London?

Stop outside the M25 and commute in?

cheers

Kevandali

PS Can we stay there if we are not members?

Kevandali

If the van is less than 2 years old I believe you are OK until the next change takes effect and requires every vehicle to be euro 4 compliant - yours is probably assumed to be euro 3 compliant based on the year of registration.

You can check on the Transport for London website by putting your reg number in and it will give you the information. Just google Transport for London or London Low Emission Zone and you should be able to get the site. Alternatively, there is quite a bit of information on here with links if you want to do a search.

Personally, once parked up at Abbey Wood, I would try and use public transport where possible.

Regards, David

Hello Kevandali,

The LEZ web site is HERE.

Currently only heavy lorries are affected but vehicles over 3.5 tonnes GVW will be affected from July this year and motorhomes between 2.5 tonnes and 3.5 tonnes GVW wil be included from October 2010. The Euro IV standards which start in 2012 will only apply to vehicles heavier than 3.5 tonnes.

Having said that, as David points out, your vehicle is probably new enough to be compliant anyway.

I agree with David that it is best to use public transport once you are parked up - much less hassle. However, the much vaunted Oyster card is of little or no use as it cannot be used on the trains from Abbey Wood station. Having said that, we found no problems at all in purchasing tickets at the station.

Graham

Guest JudgeMental
Also a club site at crystal palace. with bus and BR connections plus the palace triangle has lots of nice places to eat and drink as well, within walking distance.

kevandali - 2008-02-26 12:25 PM

PS Can we stay there if we are not members?

Sorry, meant to answer this question in previous post but forgot.

Abbey Wood - details HERE - is open to non-members but there is a supplementary charge of £7 per night. Given that Full / Joint Membership is £36 for the year you might find it cheaper to join.

We have stayed at Lee Valley Camping & Caravan Park in the past but, whilst the site itself is fine, we found access to London much easier from Abbey Wood.

Graham

I can honestly recomend crystal palace site. Great connections with the bus station less than 5 min walk away, Can either use the bus all the way up west or jump on the tube at Brixton. I have visited this site several times and my kids love it because its got such good connections in ot town. However I may be biased because its my old stomping ground. Alternately you could even go and see the Palace play whilst there. One word of caution with both of these sites is that you may well need to book in advance as they are particulaly busy during holiday periods and weekends.

Good luck and enjoy. :-D

we enjoyed a week at the ccc chertsey site and caught the train into London also had a nice day in winsor and even better day at brooklands there still a bit of the banked unit left and for 2 quid you get a ride along it in old sports car we did it a kit verion of mg tc.Also mercedes world is on the same site did nt have time to do this but 4x4 track skid pan looked good .I think ccc have also got a site on the hertfordshire side as well but can nt think of the name of that one. No aries in London thoughlol

We always used to stay at Crystal Palace CC site, but found the travel into the West End tedious, and especially after going to Theatres or concert returning home late at night ofeten entailed a long wait for the bus, then they always seemd to arrive in pairs......

When the CC refurbished Abbey Wood in I think 2000 (maybe 2001) we went there and have gone there ever since, and in fact I am sending this message whilst on one of the pitches there.At thsi time of the year,w e can stay for 7 days for under £100......exc facilities, and we get a one-week travel card which gives us far better value than the 'off peak' daily travel card.

Incidentally, the wifi here does not reach all the pitches, and when we wer here over New Year I gave up and had to sit outside by reception to get any signal worth using. I ultimately gave up - it was very expensive anyway at £6 per hour/£25 per week, and ultimately (as mentioned on an earlier posting) I found a 'mobile broadband' which costs me £10 per month for 1Gb download and after almost 1 months use, I've still got about 20% left......it also means I can use it anywhere in the UK, and not limited to finding wifi hotspots.

david lloyd - 2008-02-26 9:00 AM

Finally, if you are a CC member, there is a CL site we considered at Ilford - Aldborough Hall Farm, whiach also has good public transport access including the underground.

Hi tried to book in here last year, she doesn't like motorhomes, and hates RV's >:-(

Olley

Archived