Leaking taps.

Wilberforce

We have an Eldis Autocirrus which is only about 18 months old. Suddenly, last November the two taps in the van, i.e. in the sink and the hand basin started leaking.

Is this a common problem?

Is it easily remedied?

Do I have to return it to the dealer for warranty work? As the dealer is over 50 miles away the latter is extremely inconvenient? (?) (?)

Guest Tracker

You might try opening and closing the taps several times in quick succession as it may just be a bit of grit - not very likely but has been known to work for me in the past?

On some taps you can take them apart in situ and check the rubber seals and seatings for wear or dirt or plastic shavings from new. Turn the pump off first!

Failing that phone the dealer and ask his advice.

Fitting new taps, if needed, is not difficult but access to them can be real pain in the elbow!

Is the pump cutting out as it should when the taps are closed when the water pressure in the pipes should activate the pressure cut off switch?

If you can specify the make of tap there may well be someone here who knows the answer.

According to John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual", problems with leisure-vehicle taps are far from rare.

How easy it will be to fix a leaking tap will depend on the make/type of tap Elddis has used - it might just be a matter of an easily-fitted replacement part or the complete tap-assembly may need to be renewed.

Check the terms and conditions of your motorhome's warranty. As long as any obligatory warranty conditions have been complied with (eg. a mandatory annual habitation service) then there should be no difficulty getting the work done under warranty. I would expect your warranty's wording to direct you to approach the Elldis dealership that sold you the vehicle for warranty work to be carried out.

The labour-rate paid to dealerships for work performed under warranty is usually well below dealerships' normal 'non-warranty work' labour rate, which is why a dealership may be reluctant to carry out under-warranty work for a non-customer, even if the dealership has an agency for the make of motorhome involved. (Presumably there is no dealership with an Explorer Group agency that's nearer to you?)

You could try reducing the pressure at which the pump switches off, this might cure the leak, if other sugestions don't work or are impracticable. You should have a manual for the pump which will explain this. Most pumps have a screw on the end of the pump which can be turned slightly to change the pressure.

Guest Tracker
BrianR - 2008-02-26 10:30 AM

You could try reducing the pressure at which the pump switches off, this might cure the leak, if other sugestions don't work or are impracticable. You should have a manual for the pump which will explain this. Most pumps have a screw on the end of the pump which can be turned slightly to change the pressure.

Unless you know what you are doing and unless the van is out of warranty I would be reluctant to take this option unless every other fix does not work.

Archived