Crossing Paris

Alan D

Crossing Paris  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Clive's hit it - just DON'T.

If you WANT to go to Paris, for its own sake (which is no bad idea) camp at Maisons-Lafitte and use public transport.

But if that's not your plan, don't go near the place: east or west, doesn't matter, both sides have good fast roads or interesting slower routes.

Tony

For us time is always a major factor. Our destination in France nowadays is usually the Agde area, Paris is in the way and I like to get it out of the way as soon as possible. My preferred option nowadays is to take an evening ferry, negotiate Paris via the A3 and A.86 at around midnight before finding somewhere to crash out. It's a simple matter of following the signs for Bordeaux (but don't forget your own destination).

Our return trip means doing it in reverse often at rush hour which is any time between 4pm and 7pm. Not recommended for those of a nervous disposition although you are usually moving so slowly that it's not a problem.

Terry

Tony Jones - 2008-02-29 9:09 AM

Clive's hit it - just DON'T.

If you WANT to go to Paris, for its own sake (which is no bad idea) camp at Maisons-Lafitte and use public transport.

But if that's not your plan, don't go near the place: east or west, doesn't matter, both sides have good fast roads or interesting slower routes.

Tony

I just love driving in Paris, the standard of driving in there is quiet good.

If you want to visit Paris set your Satnav for Notre Dame and when you get there everything you need to visit is of course on one side of the river or the other.

Make up your mind what you want to see look at the map for which river side and set off into Paris. It really is that simple,

Parking has never presented any problem anywhere to us and we have visited at least four times, we have even parked at the Arc de Triumphe

We've used the peripherie a few times, yup it's fun, done it at 9.00 am on a Friday as well as 7.00 pm on a Thursday night and other times as well! Just remember that it's mostly made up of lots of tunnels so there may be times when your satnav loses the plot, literally! Make sure you have a paper plan and know which turning(s) to take that way if your satnav does lose it, you aren't left high and dry, keep your speed as low as you dare and as suggested stay in the middle lane, you get instructions to turn off both right and left, really weird but if you miss one you could be on the 'magic roundabout' for ages!

GertieDriver - 2008-02-29 9:15 AM

For us time is always a major factor. Our destination in France nowadays is usually the Agde area, Paris is in the way and I like to get it out of the way as soon as possible. My preferred option nowadays is to take an evening ferry, negotiate Paris via the A3 and A.86 at around midnight before finding somewhere to crash out. It's a simple matter of following the signs for Bordeaux (but don't forget your own destination.

Terry

I agree with Terry. This is the route I was trying to remember. If time were of the essence, this is the way I would go from Calais to Spain. I am just thankful that, now that I am retired, time is nolonger of the essence!

Archived