Awnings - Fiamma v Omnistor

Mrs Sea

We are looking to buy an awning/canopy for our Adria Twin. We've had a custom roof rack fitted for our canoes and would prefer to fix the awning to this rather than the van itself. Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

Really only need the canopy and possibly end panels, not the full safari room. What are people views on Fiamma/Omnistor? What are the glitches to avoid? What are the best gimmicks not to avoid?!

I did a quick search before posting but didn't find anything - sorry if this is a repeat.

Many thanks.

Hi Mrs Sea....

I guess there are a number of different points to consider -

1 you may need an adaptor of some sort to fit to a roof rack, and would perhaps be best to look at what either Fiamma or Omnistor can offer

2 in terms of 'safari room' or front and side pieces there are a number of options from both - inlcuding from Fiamma the 'zip' one. On our last motorhome we had one of these, but found limited use for the whole thing. It depends on your expected usage, and basically to get value from such an item you will probably need to stay on any one site for some time. It does take a while to get properly set up and pegged down, but once there we found it gave excellent stability, although in windy conditions till used the 'tie down' straps.

3 for general purposes, we use the 'roof' only type, and curently have the front sun blocker and side rain blocker peices whcih we can put in as and when required and they are excellent, but of course not as strong as the full zip menitoned above. It is fare easier to just wind in if you want to move the motorhome, though!

4 having previously always had Fiamma awnings we felt they were stronger than the Ominstor. However, for no reason other than the cost to have a dealer- fitted Fiamma, and a considerable saving by having a factory- fitted Omnistor awning, we have found the latter seems better, and certianly the adjustment for height of the front legs, it is simpler and easier, and overall seems stronger.

Hope this is of some help, but I would suggest you really consider in the first instance just how much and for how long you would expect to use such an awning. Also, have a look at some of the new and lighter free-standing models.

when i bought my motorhome it already had an omnistor awning fitted(4Metre) the problem was it was fitted with one end lined up to garage door and the other end lined up to main door to van so i cant fit side walls. i fitted a front privacy/sun screen on the front and i am very happy with this, i also have a couple of nice windbreaks that i put one on each end ive not checked out the fiamma but i presume quality wise there is little to choose between them.

brian

Thanks Keith, Clive and Brian. We really only intend using the canopy/roof bit and possibly an end as a windbreak. We tend to only spend one night somewhere and then move on so a whole safari room is out of the question. Already have a freestanding awning if ever we need one.

How easy/quick are these roll out things to put up? Do you have to pull them out all the way or can they be tensioned halfway if space is limited? Do they roll away easily and stay locked/rattle free when driving? Do they need a lot of maintenance to keep them clean and functioning?

Any tips, comments, frustrations etc welcomed from the initiated to the uninitiated!

Thanks a lot.

I've just bought an Adria Twin which is 10 months old. It already had fitted an Omnistor 6002, 3.5 metres in length. As we haven't had the weather to warrant using it, my experience with it is limited. However, to test it works, I've wound it right out and supported it, then wound it back in. It can be wound out part way, simply by, er, winding it only partway out!

This particular awning is fitted to the Twin's roof brackets, via adaptors. I can't hear any rattle from the awning whilst on the move, but that could be because there's plenty of noise from the interior fittings to drown it out!

I was chuffed to bits to see this Twin had the awning fitted when I first viewed it. I too have no real interest in sides and safari rooms, simply because the whole idea of my buying a van conversion is to leave campsites to do the likes of shopping and day trips. Having to faff about with dismantling add-ons to the awning doesn't appeal.

Shaun

Mrs Sea - 2008-02-27 9:19 PM

Thanks Keith, Clive and Brian. We really only intend using the canopy/roof bit and possibly an end as a windbreak. We tend to only spend one night somewhere and then move on so a whole safari room is out of the question. Already have a freestanding awning if ever we need one.

How easy/quick are these roll out things to put up? Do you have to pull them out all the way or can they be tensioned halfway if space is limited? Do they roll away easily and stay locked/rattle free when driving? Do they need a lot of maintenance to keep them clean and functioning?

Any tips, comments, frustrations etc welcomed from the initiated to the uninitiated!

Thanks a lot.

If I'm getting just the awning out and it takes more than about three minutes something has held me up. That's without pegging out the tie-down. That's two large pegs and a braid strap placed along the front edge; one or two minutes with practice.

Put it this way, arrive, gas on, hook-up connected, awning out, sit down to just made coffee. Between five and ten minutes depending on the state of my back after the drive.

We also have the sun blocker and use it fairly regularly when in southern Europe or we need a bit of privacy.

Our first van with an awning had an Omnistor, the second one had a Fiamma. Our current vehicle also has a Fiamma and we do find this simpler to wind in and out than the Omnistor, primarily because it is easier to attach the winding handle. However, both makes are good.

Empress

I had a Fiamma 45i, 3.5 metre awning fitted to my van before delivery. It cost £480 and I suppose I have had about £10 worth of use out of it in 8 months.

First the good news - it is very quick to wind in and out and can be set to pretty much any width up to maximum and the front legs adjust up and down on sliders so the canopy can be angled for shade or rain run off reasons.

The bad news is it feels so flimsy I am reluctant to use it - it seemed so much stronger when demonstrated at the Excel show. No user manual was supplied to me by the fitting dealer, which meant I had to use trial and error until another, major Fiamma dealer told me that the awning is suitable for use "only in calm conditions and must never be left unattended" (by an adult).

The wisdom of this was demonstrated very dramatically when in the South of France in September. The proud owner of a 3-week old Ace with the identical awning to mine put his up after I had long since chickened out and wound mine in. The wind was generally steady at about 10 knots/12 mph but a sudden, strong gust ripped the canopy clean out of the side of the van - punching holes through to the interior as it did so - lifted the entire apparatus over the van striking the roof mid flight and deposited the whole mangled mess on the pitch on the other side of the van, narrowly missing a very expensive looking german car/caravan combo and its two startled owners.

The number of days in the UK when the wind would be calm/light enough for me to use the awning in view of the dealer's advice and my experience to date will be very few. I have bought the optional Fiamma tie-down kit which I shall use as a precaution on those occasions when I put the awning up.

Only my personal opinion of course but basically, I consider my Fiamma has been a complete waste of money and payload. If I could re-wind to when I bought it I would buy a free-standing concertina type garden Gazebo instead. Incidentally the little Romahome on the pitch to the other side of the Ace had just such a Gazebo in place and it was completely unaffected by the gust which destroyed the neighbouring Fiamma.

I have still not been able to get access to a Fiamma users manual so I don't know what the "official" guidance on wind conditions is - perhaps someone out there can tell us please?

Bob

Hi Mrs Sea

I only have experience of Fiamma, ours was already on the 'van when we bought. However we wouldn't be without it. For short stays it is perfect. Set up in minutes, it is perfect for shade and rain cover - although i appreciate they are not intended for this use.

We have a seperate windbreak that we use with it to create a kind of 'room' which is great to sit under on an evening keeping the elements at bay.

Experience has taught us to wind it in every night (better than running around at 3 in the morning in your boxers) and we don't get it out in strong winds, but who would want to sit out in that anyway?

We also carry a freestanding awning, but only put that up when we are staying for more than 2 nights. It takes too long to put up and in heavy winds is a liability without the van attached anyway.

I'd suggest you have a look at both, and have a chat about fixing at the same time.  Few dealers seem to do both makes, so convenience may be a further consideration.  My impression is that the Omnis have, hitherto, been a bit more solidly made, but the supplement with your March MMM (you do have one don't you? :-) ), suggests Fiamma may have upped their game a bit, so I'd think there is presently very little between the two on quality.

The loose side walls for the Omni are a fag to erect because you have to insert a loose rafter pole to hold the top edge of the wall in place.  The pole has to be compressed against a spring to get it in - not that easy depending how far above your head the locating plate against the van is.  However, maybe not too far up on your Twin.  We stopped using ours because the effort of getting it up and pegged out for even a couple of days was outweighed by the need to retrieve it if it got windy, which, of course, is rather when you want it.  I'd say get the awning first, and decide about a wall after you've gained some experience of how you use it.

They are very quick and simple to wind out and back.  Their great drawback, as above, is that they don't tolerate wind.  It is surprising how windy the UK is, even in summer.  Generally, I wouldn't leave the awning out overnight, or while the van is unattended on site, in UK even in settled weather.  In Europe generally, I almost invariably do, but wouldn't do this anywhere between the mouth of the Rhone and Cannes, because the Mistral is completely unpredictable, nor between Montpellier and Canet, because that, too, is often windy.  I guess the shorthand for this, is to be careful in coastal areas, even along the Med.

Pegging/strapping them down doesn't really work too well either, because if the wind gets under the awning it balloons up the fabric, causing the end "rafters" to fold at their knuckles.  They are designed to do this, but it is far better to wind the thing in if this is happening, rather than relying on the tethers to retain control.  Worst case is the pegs or whatever fail, and the awning wraps itself over your roof.  It does happen! 

If this all sounds rather negative it shouldn't put you off.  I wouldn't be without ours, which I consider one of the greatest contributions to outdoor living yet invented.  You just have to be very aware of, and respect, their limitations.  Enjoy!

We've had Fiamma awnings and haven't had any problems with them, they are NOT meant to be used in windy conditions, even if tied down. They are sun shades, not rain canopies, although I've never had any problems with using them when raining so long as the rain can run off easily and not pool making a lovely pond in the middle and stretching the fabric! If used in the rain, just make sure when you get the chance you unroll the awning and let it dry off to avoid it getting stained, mouldy and smelly!

As for your particular situation, do bear in mind that these awnings weight a fair bit and you would be putting a lot of weight on the side of your roof rack which I would guess isn't what it is really meant for, the weight is meant to go on the top of it, so if you do go down this round make sure it can take it. The other option is to go for a Fiamma manual roll out awning (I think it's called a 'caravanstore' awning). These are ones that you literally unroll by hand and re-roll. They are, from what I can tell, much lighter and cheaper, there are loads on eBay so you can see all the types and possibly get one much cheaper as well.

Thanks one and all. Just the sort of information we wanted/needed. Can't think we'll be going abroad with it during its lifetime with us, more for weekend jaunts and our holidays here in Scotland. We do get sunshine from time to time but I mostly wanted it to keep the rain/mist off when we go in and out the sliding side door or for friends to shelter under having a warm up brew after a canoe trip. It won't need to be large - a 2.6m one will be ample.

The weight on the roofrack shouldn't be a problem as it is a commercially built one designed to take 2 or 3 canoes. We'll make sure the fitting brackets for the awning are heavy duty though.

The wind is the biggest concern and we will certainly be looking at the fabrics used before we buy.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Nicky,

The awning is wound out using a hook on a handle, alternatively you can spend more cash and have an electric one. You can wind out as much or as little of it as you like. If you just want to use it as a porch then get some of the clips that you fasten to the side of the motorhome that accept the awnings "feet". This is simpler than hammering pegs into the ground if you only want a bit of the awning wound out.

High winds are not good when winding out awnings and it has been known for them to be blown over the top of a motorhome if not otherwise retained by substancial volunteers. In calm weather its a 1 person operation for sure. When the feet are pegged into the ground and the optional corner tie down ropes fitted they are not bad in a moderate wind but can get in a bit of a flap in gusts. When a Safari room is fitted they become much more stable and tolerant to high winds.

Bit like most tents really!

C.

Archived